E P I L O G U E

COLTON

"Friends and family, we are gathered here today to celebrate with Miss Ivy Johnson and Mr. Colton Adams as they proclaim their love and commitment to the world." I look at her once again as another year starts to fall down my cheek. She notices it and I can almost see an eye roll. I can tell she's trying to tell me to stop being dramatic.

I can't help that my almost wife is as stunning as she is.

"Colton and Ivy, the relationship you enter into today must be grounded in the strength of your love and the power of your faith in each other. To make your relationship succeed it will take unending love. It will take trust, to know in your hearts that you truly want what is best for one another and to learn and grow together. If you both come freely, understand the responsibility and work involved to make your relationship thrive, and are committed to not only each other but your family, please take each other by the hands and look at me,"

We turn our attention to the priest. "We have come together – families and friends – to witness Ivy Johnson and Colton Adams as they exchange their vows of marriage. Love does not insist on its way. It does not rejoice in the wrong but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes in all things, hopes in all things, and endures all things. Love never ends. This marriage is a symbol of Colton's and Ivy's commitment to that love. Now would the bride and groom like to share their vows?"

Ivy nods her head before she bites her lip and starts talking, "Colton - I love you unconditionally and without hesitation. I vow to love you, encourage you, trust you, and respect you even more than I already do. As a family, we will create a home filled with learning, laughter, and compassion. Today, I choose you to be my husband. I accept you as you are, and I offer myself in return. I will care for you, stand beside you, and share with you all of life's adversities and all of its joys from this day forward, and all the days of my life. I love you." I could feel another tear slip down my cheek, I looked her in the eye and I could tell she was almost about to cry as well. Get ready for the water works then, baby.

I clear my throat before I speak, "I Colton, take you, Ivy, to be my wife and best friend. I promise to always be your biggest fan in whatever you are doing and your partner in crime. I will love you faithfully through the difficult and the easy. What may come, I will always be there, each one believing that love never dies. As I have given you my hand to hold, so I give you my life to keep." I see her sniffle and a tear escapes her. I wanted to wipe it away and hold her against my chest.

The priest begins to talk again but this time the rings are placed in front of us. "Colton, as you place the ring on Ivy's finger, please repeat after me:

I Colton take Ivy to be my wife. I promise you to love, honor, and respect, to be faithful to you and forsaking all others, until death do us part."

I take a deep breath before sliding the diamond onto my almost wife's hand and say, "I Colton take Ivy to be my wife. I promise you to love, honor, and respect, to be faithful to you and forsaking all others, until death do us part."

I send her a goofy grin as I finish the speech. I couldn't contain myself. She shoots me back a smile that reaches her eyes. Gosh, she's so beautiful. She's almost mine.

The priest begins to speak again, "Ivy, as you place the ring on Colton's finger, please repeat after me:

I Ivy take Colton to be my husband. I promise you to love, honor, and respect, to be faithful to you and forsaking all others, until death do us part."

She stares into my eyes as she places the ring on my finger her hand lingering on top of mine, "I Ivy take Colton to be my husband. I promise you to love, honor, and respect, to be faithful to you and forsaking all others, until death do us part."