Chapter 19

"I'll go," Noah said referring to the stranger banging on the front door, louder and louder each time. The muffled voice from outside repeated 'open the door, please' over and over again but I couldn't make out whose voice it was. Noah pulled across the chain on the door that ensures it is locked which would allow him to only open it slightly. Whoever it is wouldn't be able to get in, even if they wanted to.

I waited anxiously for Noah to open the door. I watched from a distance as he opened the door a mere 2 centimetres and as I heard the voice from outside I felt myself relax and laugh a little.

I strode over to Noah who was still standing by the door and closed it, pulled the chain away and then opened the door to reveal the man standing outside. "You scared the shit out of us Jace."

I pulled him inside and locked the door again. "Why?" He laughed.

"I- uh you know, no reason, we were watching a horror movie and then you started pounding on the door." I lied and glanced at Noah who had gone back over to the couch and was furiously texting on his phone.

"You're such a baby," Jace said as he pulled me in for a hug. I felt Noah's glare on the back of my head but I chose to ignore his jealous remarks. "Did you open your present?"

"I'm not gonna lie. I kind of forgot," I confessed. "It's still on the table in the kitchen."

"Well go and get it," Jace joked and I walked away into the kitchen to retrieve the present wrapped in green wrapping paper and the card.

When I returned I realised that Jace had made his way into the living room and was sitting on the couch opposite the one Noah was on. I took my seat next to Noah to show him that I was still serious about us and Jace being here wouldn't change that. He's overprotective. That's something I've realised over the couple of years we've known each other. He's not just overprotective of me, he's overprotective of his family- especially Kelly.

I sat down with the present in my lap and Noah slung his arm across the back of the couch behind me. I could tell the Jace was feeling awkward because he kept his eyes glued to the muted TV.

I slowly tore off the paper which revealed a plain brown box. I removed the tape keeping the box closed and removed a smaller box. I took one look at the box and instantly knew what it was. A huge smile spread across my face and I ran over to Jace and threw my arms around him. "I love it thank you!"

"How long did it take to get it customised?" I asked taking a close look at the figure in the box.

"It took 6 weeks including shipping," Jace said as if the gift was no big deal.

Noah coughed to get my attention. I walked back over to the couch Noah was sat on and showed him the box, "what is it?" Noah spoke in a low voice so that Jace who was focused on the TV again didn't hear.

"It's a mini figure of me," I told Jace. "It's custom made. I've wanted one forever but I'm not an artist so I couldn't design it."

"Oh," was all Noah said. I made small talk with Jace for a while, but in the back of my mind, the news about Brad's release was constantly there. I could tell that it was for Noah too as he was texting furiously on his phone- presumably to his staff.

Noah's phone rang and he excused himself into the bedroom to take the call. Jace took this opportunity to ask me a question I knew he had been dying to- but couldn't since it was about the man who was sat next to me. "You're back with him," Jace said.

"Yeah, I am."

"Why?"

"Because I love him, Jace," I said with a shrug.