Chapter 1: Elusive

It felt different - the day. Weather notwithstanding, for once, (Y/n) felt like she was supposed to be able to breathe, but she couldn't. They had told her they would be away for a little less than half a year. The letter they had left wrote as much anyway, but there was no way she could believe that, regardless of her hopes. They might have been gone starting that morning, but it could have been another trap; just another excuse to discipline her. She fully expected them to show themselves before the end of the day. So, she had to behave.

No, she should have been satisfied with Narahashi finding her. At least, for the time being, she could play normal. It was easy enough to do that when the girl found her patron walking down the street. She struggled for a bit to find the right smile before running up and greeting the girl. Her name was Motoko, but most people knew her as the youngest daughter of a wealthy manufacturer. That must have made it easier for her to take on charity projects like the (h/c) haired girl.

Though, for (Y/n), her use was not in the money she had. On the contrary, as a person of interest, she was able to gather tons of information at school. So, she let her spiral into a little ramble of hers, talking about the newest gossip and rumors that crossed her path. All the while, the younger of the two listened, saying not a word and continuing to smile.

The previous day had been dry, but that day, apparently, was a special day. With the closure of their sister school, Jindei Private High School, there was a surplus of rare transfer students coming to Keisetsu. She listed out name after name of the new students, practically doing so in one breath. Of course, each one of them were either wealthy, famous, or both, but that was merely because of their school's prestige. That was the whole point of the school, after all.

As usual, the moment Motoko noticed Aria, her closest friend, she practically forgot all about the (h/c) haired girl. Maybe it was because she was quiet. (Y/n) chuckled somberly but figured it was for the best. Wandering behind them obediently, she fell into the same routine, entering their homeroom and sitting in her seat. While the two other girls talked cheerfully, she merely waited for time to pass, ignoring the stares that were directed at her.

When the bell rang, signalling the start of classes, their teacher began to go over their new trimester. She made reference to the list she handed out, noting all of the special events. Most were fancy parties and trips, but it wasn't like it was something the (h/c) haired girl could afford. Well, maybe Narahashi would pay for her. Or maybe the school would pity her a bit more.

"Most of you have already finished tests, but I'll have to speak to Shun. Does anyone know where he is?"

"No," the rest of the class scoffed, almost in unison.

"Right," the woman mumbled, clicking her tongue, "Well, anyone who has completed but failed their tests is able to take remedial classes through next week. I'll hand a slip to each of you to fill out at the student council's office," A pause. "For announcements today, I'm sure a lot of you have heard about new students coming in from Jindei after its...incident. I shouldn't have to tell you to treat these new students with care, but, this time, especially, we have two highly important students."

"Miss!" Motoko squealed, raising her hand excitedly while Aria playfully nudged her, "Is it true that a Trewin will be attending, starting today?!"

Everyone in class began sending one another looks of awe, murmuring to one another. (Y/n) narrowed her eyes. She probably wasn't the only one that thought such an important person's presence would be a pain. Still, as always, she kept a passive look on her face, a stark contrast to the uncontrollable excitement around her.

"That's right, but he'll be going by 'Hirasi'," Ms. Naoko sighed, rolling her eyes, "Thank his mother. In related news, there will be an increased security presence on school grounds during his attendance. The same is being done for Young Master Akahito. Please show them courtesy."