Chapter 25: Untold

Akari didn't say much about himself even when prompted. He kept things very short and sweet though he was enthusiastic about even the small things, such as his favorite color. He also liked to talk about his favorite foods, most of them Vethelan in nature. Apparently, aside from following Rei around and looking through his camera, he also liked stargazing, which, he said, went hand in hand with him scaling just about anything he could. He was a real wild child. Though, she'd already known that.

"Do you live in the dorms?" the (h/c) haired girl asked, met with a blank look from the blonde.

"Of course not. I live with Rei in a house. It's not too far away from here."

"Really? You two live together, too? How do you not get sick of each other?"

"Well," the male paused, putting a finger to his lip, "If you like Rei, I don't know that you could get sick of him. And...if he gets sick of me, I just leave for a bit?"

"But then you have no place to sleep."

"That's not true. I like to sleep outside sometimes. You know, like on the roof or in a tree. One time, I slept in a cool cave I found. I got to make a fire and everything."

(Y/n) would have felt bad about that except for the fact that Akari was genuinely very happy talking about that. He seemed to love his experiences in the wilderness, perhaps more comfortable out there than he ever would be in a house. Despite the modernity of their world and the highly prized technology in their daily life, Akari must have liked things more simple. She chuckled.

"If I had to make a complaint about Athain," the male thought, tilting his head side to side as he thought, "I think that it's too polluted here. It's better than other countries, but...it's not Vethela, you know?"

"I do."

Akari smiled purely. He'd since let his guard down around her, more open to showing his true emotions. She didn't know all she had to do was figure out how to tame him. Now he wouldn't stop talking with her, the two of them snickering while the others argued about Takuya's drawing. Only when they realized the blonde was monopolizing her did they turn back to her, all of them fidgeting uncomfortably. Haru took advantage of this to rip the project drawing to shreds, calling it ugly one more time.

"Taken any more interesting pictures?" (Y/n) hummed, reaching out for the device only for Rei to interrupt.

"He doesn't take pictures of anything very interesting. Just some flowers or water."

"I like them. I ended up looking up some of his work, too. I don't really get photography or anything, but I'm actually interested in his pictures."

"Did you see my dad's?" Akari chuckled, pulling up a few examples on his phone to show her, "They're really great. He's the best I know!"

Among the pictures he showed, there was a great emphasis on one woman, in particular. She was dressed modestly, always, and had a big bright smile on her face as she stood in front of spectacular scenery. There was a lot of love in the picture. She could tell. It must have been Akari's mother. When she looked closer, there was a lot of resemblance between her and her son. It was quite cute.

"She's beautiful."

"Yeah," Akari smiled wide, giggling a bit, "She's so pretty she won the Ezdan Beauty Pageant. It's a really big thing in Vethela. Haha, my grandpa got so mad at her for sneaking out to do it, too, especially 'cuz she met my dad there."

Suddenly, the blonde's demeanor changed, shifting into one of sadness and guilt. And, still, he was quick to cheer himself up and smile brightly again. Despite the fact he was clearly affected by whatever negative emotion came his way, it was still a beautiful, beautiful smile. It reminded her of someone. She darted her eyes away, squeezing them shut. And, just like Akari, she went and put on a nice smile to mask it.