Night Visitor

Parag had just moved into a new rented house. Two nights later, there was a sudden doorbell at three in the morning. Still in half-sleep, he went to check. He tried to look through the peephole, but it was all dark, like someone had covered it with their finger. He sensibly did not open the door and went back to sleep. But the next night, it happened again. This time, he placed his ear against the door and he could hear someone breathing heavily. It was labored breathing, like of someone after climbing a mountain. Goosebumps broke out on Parag's arms at that sound.

When it happened for four nights continuously, he asked his neighbor, an senior retired man who also lived alone. The man stared at Parag closely with his myopic eyes and in a halting voice cautioned him to never open the door at night. He didn't say anything else. 

Parag complained to his landlord as well, but all he got again was a warning to keep his door shut and forget about it. It was just some mischief-monger, he said, and walked away.

A miserable Parag decided to ignore the doorbell for a couple of nights. Two weeks passed and it had almost become a nightly habit when Parag was rudely disturbed in his sleep by a heavy banging on the door. It was terrifying—someone was actually beating on the door, trying to break it down. Fear and panic brought tears to his eyes. He screamed at whoever it was to stop the banging. At that, there was a weird clucking noise from the other side of the door, followed by words in some outlandish language that he could not understand.

The next morning, forfeiting his deposit and paid-up rent, Parag moved out of the house.

It was much later that Parag managed to put a finger on what was happening. Someone from the neighborhood whom he had made an acquaintance with told him about the apartment he had rented. The gruesome story was of a previous tenant in that house who was allegedly involved in some criminal activities. One night, the tenant was called out by his colleagues and brutally murdered over some issue in a desolate place. His body was chopped to pieces and scattered in different parts of the city. Since that night, the man's ghost had been trying to regain entry into the rented house, the last place where he had been whole. It was said that whenever anyone opened the door, the ghost would enter and stun the occupant into unconsciousness. The landlord knew all about it but kept it a secret.

Parag did not get sleep that night, thinking what might have happened if he had not heeded to his common sense and opened the door. To this day, Parag has a severe phobia of staying anywhere alone in the nights.