Chapter 52: Games

Haru continued to act weird. Or, at least, he was acting weird for himself. At several points in the day, he came in to observe (Y/n), Bastien in hand. In fact, she didn't think he ever put the infant down since his father had come to visit. Haru didn't say a word when he went to see her either, merely entering her room to touch her forehead or scrutinize her before leaving. The brunette also joined Yamato in chastising her about eating, forcing her to sit down and eat an entire meal. No one knew what was up with him.

As the (h/c) haired girl sprawled herself out on her bed, trying to come up with an answer to his strange behavior, Shota appeared. The red-haired male bit down on his lip, wondering just how to approach her. Ultimately, he didn't get the time to think of how to since she sat up and stared at him. In response, he tried to give her a big smile in hopes of earning the same back, but, as always, she wanted nothing to do with him. He gave a rough exhale, taking a seat next to her as he worked out his next words.

"We haven't gotten to speak a lot recently," he murmured, "I realize you're not at all content with the situation, but I was hoping you'd come around. I-I noticed you already forgave Akari and you've even been talking with Rei - which, I don't know why you would want to talk with the likes of him, b-but I do understand - "

"Just say what you want."

"Oh. It's just...I've been waiting for my turn to spend some time with you, but it didn't seem like you ever planned on speaking to me. So, I figured I would take the initiative to solve our misunderstandings. I-I've even brought a present."

(Y/n) gazed down as the redhead pushed forward a neatly wrapped box. Nervously, he smiled and shrugged, waiting for her to open it. With a sigh, she decided to play along, unfurling the ribbon and taking the lid off. Inside was a very beautiful and intricately detailed key attached to a necklace chain. Hesitantly, she glanced from the object to him, watching him soften a bit. He then reached forward to help fasten it around her neck, giving a satisfied smile at the way it looked on her.

"It unlocks something in this house," he proudly informed her, "I figured you must be very bored trapped here, but, if you had something to look forward to, it would help, would it? So, I'm giving you the goal of finding out where the lock is. And, if you find it, you'll get a reward. Isn't that fun?"

The younger girl held up the key to her eye, inspecting it closely. Shota seemed very pleased about that, putting his hands together in delight. He noticed she'd been feeling cramped lately, so he hoped the little game would lift her spirits. She was curious by nature, too, so, hopefully, she might enjoy it, too. The red-haired male blushed as he pictured her rushing around the house like she was on a treasure hunt. It was going to be so cute.

"So, it's a game?" the girl questioned, earning an enthusiastic nod from him.

"That's right! It's a game just for you. I promise the prize is something you'd actually want, too. Actually, if you want, I can give you little hints about where the lock - "

A clank sounded out. It was probably barely noticeable, even to the dogs, but, to Shota, it rang louder than anything he'd ever heard before. His eyes trailed shakily to the ground, the male biting down on his lip. She threw it. She threw his gift - which he had painstakingly created just for her - on the ground like it was worthless trash. Balling his heartache and frustration inside, the male picked up, hoping it was just an accident. Though, when she would have had to purposefully undone the hook of the necklace, that wasn't even a possibility. He was delusional, but, all the same, he handed it back to her affectionately.

"Don't you get it?" she mumbled lowly, accepting the necklace only to hold it out in front of her, "I'm sick of you. You and your games are disgusting. I want nothing to do with either."