Chapter 64: Brainwashed

The car ride back was quiet. No one knew what happened except for Rei. One moment, everyone was arguing and (Y/n) was in distress, and, the next, she had passed out in the blonde's arms. He was awfully pleased with himself, taking the opportunity to place her on his lap and hold her possessively. Everyone stared at him, wondering if he was going to convey whatever magical technique he used to put her to sleep.

"You drugged her" Haru accused him, very much on the fence about stabbing him for that.

"I did no such thing," the blonde scoffed, placing a kiss to the girl's neck and staring at it in great interest, "My cupcake just felt so comfortable in my arms that she couldn't help but fall asleep."

"You definitely drugged her," Shota sighed.

"I did not! All I did was sing her a little song."

"A song?" the younger brunette repeated before making a face, "But your voice is obnoxious."

"You're the one who keeps whining every five seconds."

"It was...," Akari trailed off, giving a nostalgic smile, "It was that song, right? Kazuki's song? It has to be."

Rei nodded, giving the younger male a burst of energy just thinking about the song. It was by far the most beautiful song in the world. Akari only got to hear it once. It was a special song that the prince's elder brother used to sing Rei to calm him down from his fits. Every time the younger male was worked up and hurting everyone in sight, Kazuki always came to sit him down and lay him down on his lap while he sang. It worked every single time.

Akari wasn't allowed to hear the song. No one was except for Kazuki's little brothers, of which he included their younger cousin. But, one time, Akari pressed his door to the ear to listen, taken over by the enchanting voice of the prince. Rei had the voice of an angel but his brother's voice was something truly special, only matched by his poetic words. It was no wonder that (Y/n) had been entranced by it, too.

Rei was glad to be the one to get to carry the younger girl upstairs. Though Yamato insisted he do it, claiming - with certainty - he was stronger, the blonde refused to give her up. With much pride, he went to set her down in her bed, giving a small chuckle at her expression. Well, he loved the wide array of faces she would make, especially her mad face, but it was a bit of rarity to see her so calm.

"Will she be okay?" Akari mumbled, worriedly staring at her, "She keeps...passing out, so I'm worried - "

"Aw," Rei teased, quick to grip onto the younger male's chin and force him to look up, "You're so loyal, aren't you?"

"It's not like that! Really, I still...you...It's just..."

"No excuses. You've barely spoken a word to me since a few days ago. You're not helping me cook, you're not checking up on me. You're not even coming to meet me for our little chats."

"No, I - "

"Akari," the older male chimed out affectionately, only to move his hands to squeeze at his playmate's neck, watching him squirm, "I really hope you're not thinking of competing with me for (Y/n)."

The younger male tried to reply. He wanted desperately to tell Rei he would never do something like that; that he wouldn't ever have been a candidate to receive the girl's love. Though, as his throat was clenched shut, no words could escape no matter how much he tried. His eyes began rolling back in his head as the pain became too much to bear, the Vethelan prince only chuckling as Akari momentarily went still. Amused, the male dropped the younger blonde to the floor, watching him cough and tremble.

"I won't," Akari forced out, breathing heavily, "I won't."

"Good boy," Rei smiled patronizingly, patting the male on the head and watching him melt, "Then, that means you'll be a team player and help me, right? If you'd like your little goddess to stick around, what better way than to make her the princess you'll serve for the rest of your life? Wouldn't you like that?"