Chapter 1

Divergent. That's the only word I can think about as I walk towards the choosing ceremony. Today's the year I choose what faction I want to be in. I'm originally from erudite and I'm jeanine Matthews daughter the leader of the faction. This year it's my mother who's hosting the ceremony. She does a long speech but I don't listen. Then she starts to call out names.

"Atkinson Omara" she calls. The amity girl goes up to the podium, takes the knife from my mother, cuts her hand and places it over the amity bowl.

"Amity" my mother says. The amity start to clap. The list goes on and I blank out until I hear my name.

"Matthews Isabella" she calls. I walk up to the podium. I grab the knife and cut my hand. My mother told me to choose dauntless so I place my hand over the dauntless bowl. The dauntless cheer. "Dauntless" she sounds satisfied.

After the ceremony the dauntless start to run to the train tracks and I follow after them. I bump into someone. I look up to see a girl towering over me.

"Sorry" I mumble. She shrugs and nods.

"I'm Molly" she tells me.

"Isabella but call me izzy" she smiles. We start to run after the train I jump in and help Molly. She drags me over to 2 candor guys.

"Who's this" one of them says while glaring at me. I look at the ground. When I look up again Molly is glaring at him and he is smirking.

"This is bella" I look at her and give her a what the heck look but go with it. "Bella this is Peter" she pauses pointing to the one that was glaring at me "and drew" I smile at them but it's forced.

"These are your friends?" I whisper to Molly

" sadly yes" she sighs "don't worry you'll get used to them" I smile at her and she smiles back.

"They're jumping" Peter tells us. So I grab Molly's hand and jump. I land on my butt and she lands on her knees. Peter lands on his feet and gives us a satisfied grin. I roll my eyes but smile anyway. I get up and walk over to where all the dauntless born were. My stomach dropped when I saw the last person I wanted to ever see again standing there. Eric. He scans the crowd then his eyes land on me. He smirks and jumps down from the ledge. Before he transferred from erudite he and his friends bullied me and on his choosing ceremony I said to him that I'd jump off the nearest building before I'd have to see him again. He walked slowly towards me until he stood six inches apart from me. I gulped and he smirked even wider.

"Remember the last thing you said to me cause I do. You up for it dork?" I glare at him and he just smirks.

"It's bella. And yes it would be my pleasure" I say sickly sweet. He glares at me as I walk to the edge. I slowly climb up and look down to see a gaping hole. I turn around and smirk at the other initiates and fall. I land on a net and the impact makes me shudder. Hands grab me and pull me off the net. I see a tall handsome guy standing in front of me

"Name?" He asks

"Bella" I reply.

"first jumper bella" he yells out then says "welcome to Dauntless" I grin.