Wattpad Original
There are 87 more free parts

coffee

noun ~ a hot drink made from roasted grounds from a coffee bean

NOVA

The next morning, I was up at seven, thankful I wasn't on breakfast duty after last night. My face was not swollen. It was as though a week had passed and now it was just a light purple, almost yellow bruise. The small butterfly strips were no longer needed either; just a dark line left behind. I covered everything with some make-up, knowing what awaited today. I didn't want to show up my pack, especially not to a one of the royal packs.

During the announcement last night, we were told to look and be our best for today. So I had to hide any ugliness to look good. It just had to be done.

Happy with the simple make-up and mascara, I put on some light pink eyeshadow to counterbalance the paleness of my face. My green eyes blinked back at me in a comforting gesture, pleased the makeup had worked. I looked okay... Better.

I brushed my blonde hair into a plait, pulling my hair forwards a little so it wasn't slick to my head. It was the nicest I have done my hair in a while. It was usually dry and brittle and I would be too tired to bother with it. I wore some slim-fitting jeans with a simple black long-sleeved top to hide my scars and burns. I'd rather wear joggers and a top, but for whatever reason, today was important. We had to put on a mask and parade a different persona.

Leaving my room, I wished I had a mobile so I could just talk to my parents through that. But I didn't... well, not anymore. I had saved money for one, but Sophie 'dropped' it in the river when I was out walking last spring. I missed my music and photos.

Wandering my way down the hall to the mated section of this level, I knocked on my parent's room. Mother's charming voice called me in and I stepped in with no hesitation.

"Nova, my dear! You look wonderful! I have not seen you so pretty in so long!" Mum cooed, walking over to me.

"Gee, thanks." I rolled my eyes.

Dad chuckled. "She has a point. Maybe I should ask Alpha to arrange more visits if you stop hiding yourself. You look great!"

I laughed. "You look good too, Dad."

And he did. His dark hair slicked back, as usual, wearing a white shirt un-buttoned to his chest that showed the tufts of chest hair. He also wore some blue fitted jeans and black boots, a jacket laying on the bed in waiting.

"Always a charmer, dear." Mum smirked.

Dad bickered back, so I forced myself to interrupt. "Wh-who is the alpha that's coming?"

Mum turned to me with a raised brow, so I continued.

"Everyone seemed so... worried?"

She licked her lips nervously, as though talking about it was a bad thing. Her blue eyes glanced towards my dad, who shrugged and sat down with a newspaper in his hands.

She tucked her auburn hair behind her ear and patted the bed next to her. I followed suit and sat, waiting.

"Blood Moon is a king's pack. There are three royal packs each with their own alpha; Blood Moon, Full Moon and New Moon. Full moon pack is the creative type; they are the ones to supply the riches and decorations for the royals and many other packs. New Moon pack use technology to advance our times. Blood Moon pack is fearless; enforcer warrior type. They have taken down many packs. Rumours have it... your original pack, Crescent Moon."

I frowned. "Why?"

"We don't know. They haven't disclosed the information and whatever the king says goes. He makes the laws. To defy the King is to go against everything. He's the reason we live how we do, the ranks, the policies, the arranged matings... all his ideas."