Chapter One

New people were coming today.

Yes, I sympathized they were hiding from the war in London, and were probably scared or confused or angry.

But there would finally be new children here.

Different people for Ms. Macready to yell at other than me. Maybe they'd help with the chores that took up my whole life.

"When I arrive back with the children, sort out the horses in the stables and ride out to the market to grab the rations for the week," her voice was harsh, but at least she wasn't yelling.

"Yes Ms. Macready," I said in a sing song voice, going upstairs to get changed into my riding clothes.

It would be about an hour before she'd get back, so I decided to go hunting.

Sure, they rationed they food we took and bought, but they couldn't stop me from shooting a squirrel or two.

Ms. Macready wouldn't approve, which was why I wasn't going to tell her.

I grabbed my bow and small quiver of homemade arrows, sling them over my shoulder, and slipped out the back door silently.

Hunting in the woods was one of the best feelings imaginable.

The way the wind moved through the trees and whistled. The way the birds chirped when they saw you. How the sun filters through the trees.

I realized I'd been admiring the forest for a while, and since I was up the road, I could hear the chariot moving along.

Ms. Macready was coming home. I had to hurry.

I threw a rock into a bush, sending the startled birds flying. I shot two of them, then retrieved the arrows.

Straight in the heart on both birds, killing them instantly.

I grabbed them and slid them into my bag, hid my bow and quiver in a dry log, and ran back to the mansion to see the chariot arrive with four children in the back.

The oldest had blonde hair and blue eyes. He was arguing with the younger boy, with freckles, black hair, and brown eyes.

The older girl had brown hair and brown eyes. Her face was frozen in a worried state. And the youngest had short almost red hair, freckles, brown eyes, and a mouth stuck in a smile.

"Madi," Ms. Macready said with her usual sharp voice, "Get the horses into the stables and go to the market."

As if I couldn't remember what she said earlier.

"Yes, Ms. Macready," I said, helping the children out of the chariot, disconnecting the horses' reins from the contraption, and leading them to the stables.

After getting them both in their stables, I removed the reins, sorted out their hay, scooped out the manure, and started getting the saddle ready.

"Come on," I whispered softly as I stroked my fingers through her mane.

She followed me out of the stables, where I mounted her. We trotted down the road to the market, where I sold the birds and grabbed the rations, slipping both the money and the food into my bag.

The horse, who Ms. Macready wouldn't let me name, but who I named Peridot anyway, galloper back up to the house and skidded to a halt.

I dismounted and led Peridot back to the stable, where I removed her saddle and stroked down her fur.

"Hey," a voice said behind me.

I jumped, startled.

"Sorry," I mumbled, still stroking Peridot's mane.

"No, I didn't mean to sneak up on you," it was the oldest girl, "I'm Susan."

I smiled, holding out my hand, "Madi."

"Your hand's bleeding," she looked at the blood.

"Oh, no, I caught a couple birds this morning and sold them at the market," I explained, "Sorry about that."

Susan nodded, "Ms. Macready asked us to tell her when you got back."

"Okay," I smiled, "I'll just finish up- I'll be inside in a few minutes."

She left to talk to Ms. Macready.

I grabbed the bag and hung it on a peg, leaving the money inside, but grabbing the smaller bag of rations.

It was raining outside and I wasn't wearing a jacket, just the short sleeved riding shirt. Just my luck.

I ran up the small road between the stables and the mansion, opening the front door and sitting down to take off my boots.

I left them drying by the door, and sat there for a moment as I tried to wring some of the water out of my hair.

Then, I walked into the house to find the four children, the Pevensie children as I learned, sat at a table talking as Ms. Macready stood in the center of the room holding a bow and a quiver of arrows.

They were mine.

"What have I told you about hunting?" Ms. Macready's voice had increased several pitches and was even more terrifying than before.

I flinched, "I just thought-"

"What about overhunting?" Ms. Macready continued, "What if someone catches you?"

"No one else will go into that part of the woods or it's trespassing," I informed her, "And I only hunt once a week, and never catch any more than two birds."

Ms. Macready didn't look happy, but she glanced at the new children and back to me, "Alright. Well, you missed dinner, so wash the dishes and go to bed. Early morning tomorrow."

As with every morning.

"Yes, Ms. Macready," I sighed, grabbing the plates as she left the room, her high heels clicking on the floor.

The other children looked at me like they expected me to talk. I've never been good at talking to people. Besides, I was tired and shivering from the freezing cold rain.

"You should probably go up to your rooms before Ms. Macready gives you chores as well," I recommended, letting exhaustion deep into my voice.

They all slowly left the table and walked up the stairs. I finished cleaning the dishes and walked up the stairs in silence.

After I closed my door, I sat down on my bed.
Ms. Macready wouldn't take away my bow, as she enjoyed archery practice, but if I went hunting again this month, I would never get it back.

I changed into dry clothes and started thinking to myself.

Before I knew it, I was asleep.