53. Cinquanta­tré

I hadn't realized that I'd lived my entire life without the male presence

I hadn't realized that I'd lived my entire life without the male presence. My father was a total gentleman. His socks didn't smell like there is a dead rat inside them. I never heard my mother yelp for him to not leave the wet towel on the bed. And being a doctor, he was always hygienic. Gian's presence in my house never made me feel uncomfortable. It felt like he had always been a part of my life.

Indeed, he throws the entire razor in the bin, instead of changing its blades. Used to slung the wet trowel on my back to smack my ass. But he was nowhere close to being unhygienic like these bony monsters.

Yesterday afternoon when Lorenzo brought me here directly from the cemetery I was under the influence of the adrenaline of standing tall in front of Mr. Armani. This morning, when I woke up. I began to see and smell things in Gian's room. His things were scattered all over the place, which won't be counted as unhygienic, just messy. The dumbells and other exercise equipment needed a quick cleanup and the clothes needed to get neatly folded. But there still was this smell I couldn't put my fingers on. So after taking a quick shower I was on a hunt to find the source.

For starters, it was the lack of Vitamin D. Being underground the place doesn't get a single ray of sunshine. Sniffing like a search dog I slowly crossed the hallways. I ran my hand on the corridor's wall finding them to be a little damp, subject to create wild mold in the future. But there's another smell coming from the other end, so I close my eyes to make full use of my senses and walked toward it.

I had only taken 9 steps when my nose collided with something hard and warm. I squeaked like a rat padding on the floors, jumping back. A big hand grabbed on my forearm to steady me. My eyes shot open to find Emiliano frowning at me disdainfully. I opened my mouth to explain my actions but he waved his hand in dismissal.

"Save it." He grunted, giving me a once over like I'm a loony, before disappearing through the door.

I quickly looked around to make sure no one saw this exchanged and pranced toward the source finding it to be a group of young men with their eyes glued to the screen.

The boys working on their computers smelt like gutter rats. Their hair was long, tied in a messy ponytail with a colorful elastic band that comes with food packaging. Their eyes were bloodshot. Like they hadn't had enough sleep in weeks. I'm certain I didn't see them even blink or they must've blinked in unison when I blinked. Because it's not physically possible to discipline yourself to not blink.

"They're working on the next launch." I shrieked in fear, turning to find Lorenzo leaning to the door of the room he had disappeared into last night. Just like Emiliano, he wasn't wearing a shirt either.

"Is launch a code word for something else.?" I ask quietly, risking a glance back at the boys.

Lorenzo threw his head back and laughed. "We aren't that bad, Miss Honey. Ever heard of the Roman Blizzards.?" he asked, crossing his ink-covered arms over his naked chest tattered with tattoos.