Prologue

After the tragedy, the surviving humans built a community—a place that could protect humanity and the new generations to come. A century has passed by since then.

Now, many things have changed.

We learn about many things of the world—at least those of us who have the privilege to do so. We learn about philosophy and literature. We learn about arts and sciences. We learn about health, medicine, the environment, disorders and diseases. My favourite subjects were sports-related and physical training. I do not dislike history, but I do not enjoy it either.

The past was like a distant whisper to me. They were like memories that I never had known. I shuddered at the thought of being in the past, but we had to learn about it anyway because it was the only way we got to understand why we are here now.

Our world had fought many wars and gone through plenty of devastating tidings, but in the year 2049, our enemies almost brought total annihilation to humanity. In those days, the monsters and demons in books came to reality.

They were real for the people in the past.

Now, it became stories to us—a bedtime story that would bring nightmares to little kids. The war was perilous and almost unstoppable.

Humans have written legends, myths, and every kind of story about demons and monsters but our ancestors saw them. None have thought that they would one day see it in flesh and would witness them ripping apart human bodies right in front of their very eyes. The creatures came out of a huge portal, a large gate floating above the horizon like cosmic energy outshining the sky. Grotesque, unsightly, and vile were the dark creatures look like. The monsters have sharp teeth, and strong arms and their claws could easily rip and crush a human's body. Some appear to be like a shadow, moving fast and undetected that no one could ever hide from them.

Machines weren't enough to kill them, but we were saved by our savior.

The savior came in the form of a comet coming from out of nowhere. It came down to Earth, revealing a colossal humanoid creature. No one had seen its face as its whole body was covered with the brightest glow, and no one could last a minute to look at it without getting blinded. And then his armies came, they were half the size of the savior. They were clad in golden armour and their two sets of wings were so huge that their shadows could darken a whole city.

Still, it wasn't enough to destroy the enemies.

The savior glows even brighter, floating in mid-air with his arms spreading widely. He exploded and bits of golden dust came raining down on Earth. Those golden fragments sucked the enemies altogether and disappeared.

No one knows where they have gone to. Perhaps they were destroyed once and for all. Perhaps they have gone back to their world.

That was how our dwelling was born, and our lives were forever changed.

After that war, the surviving humans had developed magic, but not all of them. Some of them have infinite strength. Some can move faster than light. They can control the elements, nature, and everything that's left of the world. They had different abilities but, they were—well—resourceful enough to build a new community and powerful enough to fight back if another fleet of creatures started to attack them again. 

Years after that, the geniuses attempt to multiply the number of mages. Our ancestors made it possible for the newer generations to develop the same abilities as the old ones, or even create a new power.

The first program failed. The second one was the reason I exist.

Our dwelling is called Erether. We lived in peace for a hundred years and thought it would last for more, but we couldn't be more wrong.

My name is Aeryn Glaze. And this is the tale that depicts the strength and perseverance of humans, and how we survived another doom that came to us like a second wage of the great war.