51.Baby Foxes and Owls

Third Persons P.O.V.

The news that Shizukana was awake had reached Shikamaru at around seven in the morning the next day.

As soon as the Nara heir heard, he got dressed and rushed to the hospital with all his power.

He dashed through the corridors and gently knocked on Shizukana's door. He opened the door expecting to see Shizukana awake but instead, she was back to laying on the bed. The only difference was that she didn't have her oxygen mask on.

"Shikamaru." Sakura greeted as she smiled at him. There was this small twinkle in her eyes that made Shikamaru sigh in relief.

"I thought she woke up," Shikamaru muttered softly as he walked towards the bed.

Kakashi who was standing near the window looked at him. "She did but she went back to sleep and still hasn't woken up," Kakashi answered making the Chunin nod.

"When do you think she'll wake up?" He said as he glanced at the clock. He had a C-Rank mission in two hours that required him to leave the village and head to Sunagakure.

"We can't say for sure. Shizukana still needs to rest." This time it was Sakura who answered.

Shikamaru tapped his fingers against the metal rails of the bed. He wanted to stay by Shizukana's side but he had a responsibility as a Chunin to attend missions.

But that meant that he had to leave the village for three days. The trip to Sunagakure in civilian speed took at least two days and back with Shinobi speed was five to six hours.

Shikamaru was torn between staying with his best friend or keeping his duty as a Chunin.

With a heavy sigh, Shikamaru rubbed his eyes. He would complete the mission. He knew that Shizukana would want him to do so.

"Is something wrong?" Sakura asked when she noticed the Nara's distressed expression.

Shikamaru looked at Sakura before shaking his head. "I have to prepare for a mission. I won't be back for three days at least."

"It's alright. Complete the mission and be back as soon as possible." Kakashi spoke making the Nara glance at his superior.

"But-" Shikamaru was interrupted by Kakashi.

"You're worried about Shizukana?" Kakashi questioned. He looked at the Nara who slowly nodded. "Don't worry. The hard part is over. Shizukana woke up. She's just a little tired." Kakashi said trying to lift some worry of Shikamaru's shoulders.

Kakashi's words calmed Shikamaru but he still wished he didn't have to go. He glanced at Shizukana who was laying peacefully before smiling a little. At least she woke up. She's going to be okay.

Shikamaru took a deep breath before nodding. "I have to go prepare." He glanced at Shizukana one last time before walking out the door.

Sakura watched Shikamaru leave. As soon the Nara walked out the door, a small smile crept up Sakura's face. "He cares about her so much. I remember the two of them at the academy. How much has changed." Sakura said while remembering the days when Shizukana and Shikamaru were inseparable.

"Good morning!" A cheery voice came from the corridor. It was Naruto. He walked in with flowers and a bright smile.

He flashed that blinding smile towards Sakura and Kakashi who returned it with a nod or a small smile.

"Naruto, what are you doing up so early?" Sakura said glancing at the clock. None of them had told Naruto that Shizukana had woken up.

"I dunno. I just felt like heading out early." Naruto said as he placed the flowers on the table before giving a small smile towards Shizukana.