Prologue: Grimm Reaper

Nox looked down on his world from the rooftop of a dilapidated building. The crammed muddy streets were lit up by moonlight and flickering electrical lights shining through boarded up windows. God awful smells wafted through the air assaulting Nox's nose, either from the mass graves scattered around the kingdom inside it's great walls or human and animal waste littering the poorest parts of town.

Nox had killed only two men that night. Not nearly enough to ease his mind from the lurking darkness. He felt his hand tremble with the urge to unsheathe the short sword at his back to relieve the feeling crawling up his spine.

Nox was the worst kind of reaper. He didn't kill just to survive or to earn enough money to break free like others did. He killed for his own sanity. Nox's freedom was killing. He found his peace hunting and bringing down his target no matter who they were. The more of a fight the better. But hardly anyone fought back when they saw him coming. When they saw the midnight mask of the Grimm. Some would even close their eyes and simply give up. While others would scream and beg on their knees, their teary eyes reflecting the glint of his sword. They knew it was hopeless, there was nothing they could do to stop him; he was the best killer in the kingdom after all.

Nox couldn't find anyone with enough skill to even begin to challenge him. None of the generals or soldiers he had taken down had even been a real fight. Maybe he really had killed all of the best in the kingdom already.

It was a hassle for Nox to satisfy the darkness everyday. He had tried in the past to ignore it and to kill only those whom he was assigned that day or week. But then the trembling began, starting at his hands until it took over his whole body. Then the agonising headaches that shot flashes of blinding light to the front of his vision.

He'd lost control like that a few nights ago in a bar, the feeling of the crowded room full of smells and overwhelming energies swirling with different emotions. He had tried to hold back, gritted his teeth and grabbed the steak knife on the wooden table holding it so tightly it cut into his palm soaking the wood red with his blood. But the sounds rang through his head, smashing glasses and loud shouting. Something snapped inside of him and everything stopped. Moments later a smile on his face under his mask as he stood in the middle of the room, blood splattered on every wall and surface. He had killed every person in there, the small steak knife dripping with crimson liquid in his hand. No one was truly innocent in this world everyone had killed or aided in a kill of another. But Nox knew he was truly evil.

~

Nox ran silently from rooftop to rooftop, heading towards his gloomy apartment. As he got closer his mind wandered to the tempting idea of sleeping for a whole year, leading to an internal debate as to whether it was even possible.

Killing was a hassle. Life was a hassle. Nox wanted to sleep. Unfortunately he needed death like a normal person needed water.

Nox reached his small home. A one room apartment in just another rundown building in a part of town that even the electricity didn't want to venture.

Stripping off his dirty clothes Nox let his body move on its own, falling face first onto his bed and letting sleep finally claim him.
Maybe I'll get lucky and tomorrow won't come. Nox thought to himself.

Hello to anyone reading!!! 👋 Please excuse the rough writing I'm just trying to get it finished so I can find out what happens in my cute beans lives! I'll edit after that, because I'm lazy and I procrastinate boring jobs :)

Hopefully you enjoy Nox's story and if you want to vote, comment and read more then yayaaay XD ❤️❤️