Chapter 63. Unblemished Linoleum.

Third Person's P.O.V

"Shizukana!" Shikamaru's alarmed voice rang out through the desolate forest as he and his father wasted no time rushing towards the unconscious kunoichi. The dogs parted to allow the Nara's to enter the boundary they had formed. Kneeling next to her, the younger Nara hesitated for a moment before pulling Shizukana to his lap and gently tapping her cheek in desperate need to wake her up.

Groaning in pain, Shizukana clutched Shikamaru's arm, her lips parting as if to say something to him. Recognizing who it was, Shizukana began to mutter. "Ta-Takada."

Hearing his name, both the Nara's looked around in alert. Shikaku's eyes scanned the forest and its canopy with skill before he realized that Takada had fled.

"Let's get her to the hospital now." Shikaku Nara spoke as he looked around with alert eyes. Noticing that his son didn't respond, the head of the Nara clan placed his hand on his son's shoulder, successfully gaining the younger Nara's attention. "We need to go now," Shikaku urged as Shikamaru quickly nodded.

Lifting Shizukana with ease, the Naras, along with Kakashi's ninken, rushed to the hospital. Holding onto Shikamaru's shirt, Shizukana clenched her eyes in agony.

While this was happening, Kakashi was battling the Anbu that surrounded him and the young medic. Holding the Kunai Kakashi had given her, Sakura kicked an anbu in the leg while Kakashi rammed a kunai into the assailant's gut.

"Kakashi, duck," Sakura yelled as she forgot all honorifics. Swiftly crouching to the ground, Kakashi dodged the attack as he continued to take down the intruders. What he didn't expect was one of the attackers to ram a kunai into the Jonin's shoulder.

Hissing out in pain, Kakashi pushed him away. Sakura stepped in and tripped the Anbu member before Kakashi grabbed the kunai that was lodged in his shoulder. Eying the Anbu with pure hatred, Kakashi flicked the kunai straight at the man who fell to the ground almost immediately.

After thirty minutes of dodging and punching, Kakashi let out an exhale of relief when the barraging attacks came to an end. Wiping the cut on his forehead, Kakashi turned to Sakura. "Get Lady Tsunade and bring her to the hospital. I'll go to Shizukana." As soon as Kakashi said those words, Sakura nodded before rushing out of the apartment.

Kakashi took a deep breath before he brought his hands together and teleported to the last place his ninken were.

Feeling a heavy presence of chakra moving away from him, Kakashi made his way towards them.

Before long, Kakashi saw two figures running away from him as a bunch of dogs running around them. Letting out a sharp whistle, Kakashi gained the attention of his ninken and the Naras in front of him.

Pakun barked twice before he fell back to reach Kakashi. "What happened?" Kakashi asked as he noticed Shikamaru carrying Shizukana.

"Takada attacked. She seemed to be in pain before we arrived." Pakun explained briefly. "He told us to take care of her before be vanished."

Hearing what Pakun said, Kakashi faltered for a split second before he regain his composure. Did he care? Why is he acting like he cares if he bothered to attack her? Intrusive thoughts entered the Jonin's mind before he pushed them aside. He had no time to spend thinking about such matters. His main priority was getting Shizukana to safety.

They reached the hospital in no time. One of the nurses ran towards them, her eyes widening at the sight of them. She had recognized Kakashi since he visited the hospital many times before.

Calling out for a medical team, the doctors and nurses managed to convince Shikamaru to let Shizukana go as they took her to another room.

While this was happening, Sakura was scrambling down the street, heading to where she remembered Lady Tsunade would be. The day before, Sakura has heard that Lady Tsunade and Lady Shizune would be paying a visit to Konoha's general pharmacy to pay tribute to those that had helped in healing the injured during the invasion.