Chapter One

******** This text is covered by the international copyright laws. This content may not be copied to another computer, published, stored, reproduced or altered in any way. Any violations of this is punishable by law. ********

© 2016 by LaurenJ22.

All rights reserved.

Dedication: RolyatEnaj_ for the awesome cover!

--------------------

"It was a year ago when it happened," I began, writing the same story, unable to continue. That's as far as I got every time. With a groan of frustration, I threw my pen down, burying my head in my hands.

My eyes were stinging with exhaustion. School was overrated. For someone so smart, I was failing pretty miserably at the subject I was meant to be best at. Okay, my essays have received high marks and the multiple choice I could do blind folded. It was the creative writing part I couldn't work out.

"Write something you know," my teacher continued to insist, handing back yet another one of my drafts that were deemed inadequate.

I was trying. I was trying to write a summary of the hell I've been through the last year and a half. For something so personal to me, it was pathetic that eight words was all I could write.

It could be a great story, but I couldn't write it. Not only because I didn't want to share it with the world. No, I think it's because I still have no idea how it all started. How this could ever happen to someone like me.

I'm your typical, unextraordinary teenager. I went to school, complained about school, ate, slept, repeat. A year ago, I was just like everyone else. Literally, one of the most normal teenagers probably on the planet. Cliché, I know.

My parents were together (still are), which is seemingly rare nowadays. I went well at school. I wasn't really popular, but I wasn't not popular, either. I snuck out, went to the parties. I drank illegally like most teenagers. I wasn't dark and stand offish, nor was I over-the-top outgoing. I got along with most people. My talents include excelling at English and being able to eat a taco in about five seconds.

And I was completely and utterly in love.

It wasn't your typical he-is-hotter-than-me and doesn't-know-I-exist story. What makes it not so typical is that he knew I existed. I spent almost every second with him. We were so close, it was scary. There was no me, without him and vice versa. If we weren't with each other, we were texting. It was ridiculous how much we spoke, if I'm honest. My parents actually told me it was unhealthy how obsessed we were with each other. Me actually being obsessed. It was like a strange hunger inside of me. I needed to know what he was doing and where he was. I needed him to know what I was doing. He was the same, but in a way, or so I think, one would care for their sibling.

Everyone knew us together.

If he ever dated someone, they dated me too. That's just what they had to deal with, not that he actually dated many girls. I used to claim I didn't date because I didn't want that kind of commitment. That was a lie. It was just that no one compared to him. If I drunkenly hooked up with someone, when I closed my eyes, it was Casey I thought of. Eventually, I stopped trying to find someone other than him. He was all I wanted. Sure, at parties I'd still hook up with someone if the opportunity presented itself, but I was never going to date anyone. I couldn't.

"Girls are overrated," he always used to sigh. "Except you, my love."

My love. That's what he called me. For him, it was a joking around, not-so-serious way of saying I was his best friend. But he actually was my love. He was amazing, in every single way.