four

Zaroon was still following behind me---- when I sat down on the bed. I realised that I was still in my uniform.

I groaned "Abhi toh kapre bhi nahi badle"
(I haven't even changed my clothes yet)

"Mai madad karo?" Zaroon smirked and I looked at him.
(Should I help?)

After blankly staring at him. I grabbed my pillow and threw it at him. He catched it and chuckled.

"Dafa ho. Jao Mere kamre se niklo!" I yelled at him and threw another pillow. He threw it back, laughed and left the room.
(Get out. Leave my room!)

"Badtameez toh hamesha se tha, ab bold bhi hogaya hai." I muttered under my breath.
(He was always rude but now he's bold aswell.)

Then my brother, Daniyal, entered the room. "Tum bhi niklo, jao yaha se!" I yelled at him and he confused looked at me.
(You also get out of this room)

"Mene kya kiya hai?" He confused asked.
(What did I do?)

"Dafa ho!" I yelled and grabbed my pillow threatening to throw it at him.
(Get out!)

"Ja raha hoon bhai!" he yelled and left the room.
(I am going!)

I sighed and laid down on my bed. I got up and went to my cupboard. I took out a red simple anarkali that had a low cut chest. I took out a matching red shalwar and a georgette dupatta.

I started studying for my exam that was tomorrow. I got bored and then decided to go downstairs to dadi jaan's room.

"Kya huwa?" I asked as I entered the room to see everyone's face dull.
(What happened?)

"Tumhare shohar ne Nawaz Shahab aur unke family ko shaadi ka card behj diya hai" Qadir Taya said, shaking his head.
(Your husband has send Nawaz Sahab and his family the wedding card invitation)

"Toh isme buray kya hai?" I asked and everyone turned their face to look at me.
(So what's the bad in this?)

I put my face down, shyly and walked towards dadi jaan to stand beside her chair.

"Aane doh usko. Aesa maro ga ke-" Qadir taya got cut off by Zaroon entering the room.
(Let him come. I will beat him so much that-)

"Lo gi aagaya shehzada" he said and Zaroon got confused.
(Here we go. The prince is here)

"Kya huwa, abbu?" he asked and looked around meeting my eyes.
(What happened dad?)

"Yeh kya hai?" Qadar Taya asked referring to the invitation card.
(What is this?)

"Abbu shaadi ka card hai aur kya hoga?" Zaroon said in a 'duh' voice cause it's obvious.
(Dad it's the wedding card what else could it be?)

Taya abba slapped him making many gasp come from the room.

"Jahil insaan. Tumne Nawaz Sahab ka card kyu banaya? Aur phir behj bhi diya?!" He yelled at him.
(You made a card for him and then send it too?!)

Zaroon glared at him and without an answer left the room. I was satisfied but I also felt bad. As the conversation changed, I walked out of the room.

I knew where he was. He was in the garden where we used to play as kids. When we were happy and didn't care about the future. When we knew that we wouldn't be assigned to each other for marriage.

I walked towards where he was sitting on the stairs and I sat down beside him.

"Tumne kyun unko card bheja?" I asked and he turned to look at me.
(Why did you send him the card?)

"Jannat, mujhe laga ke hamari shaadi ke liya dadi jaan apna saalo purana ghuzza tookh deingi par nahi woh woi ussi saalo purani baat ko abhi tak apne seene pe rakhi hui hai." Zaroon said and shook his head.
(Jannat I thought that for our marriage Grandma will forget about her years old anger but no she still is keeping that moment close to her heart)

"Zaroon. Dadi jaan ne unse pyaar kiya tha. Woh unko bohat chahti thi" I said and Zaroon scoffed "Par Nawaz uncle ne unko dokha diya. Apne bhai se dadi jaan ki shaadi karwa di aur khud USA chale gai"
(Zarron. Grandma loved him. She need his so much. But Nawaz uncle betrayed her. By marrying her to his brother and he himself went to USA leaving everyone behind)

"Like how selfish can one person be?" I asked him and myself.

"Mujhe bhi ghussa aata agar mera pyaar mujhe chor kar USA chale jata aur apni bhai ki shaadi mujhse kara deta." I said.
(I would've been angry too if my lover left me to go to USA and got me married to his brother.)

"Pyar wyar kuch nahi hota, Jannat." Zaroon said, annoyedly and I flinched as if his words hurt me.
(There's no such thing as love, Jannat.)

That sentence made something inside of me broke. Does he mean that after we get married he won't have anything to do with me? Will he just ignore me forever?

"Zaroon tumhe huwa kya hai?" I asked getting angrier by his behaviour.
(Zaroon what has happened to you)

"You know what, Jannat? I hate you. I hate you so fucking much. You have ruined my life and I just wish you can just go away." he said.

I may have hated him because of our nikaah but I don't know why I felt hurt by his words.

"I also didn't wanted this, Zaroon!" I exclaimed and blinking away the tears.

"Oh please! You're a girl, if you could've said no this wouldn't have happened" he said and I scoffed.

"You think I didn't? You think I didn't cry and begged to not let me get married to you?" I yelled.

"Oh so I'm that bad now?" He looked at me and I shook my head.

"Allah! You're unbelievable, Zaroon!" I said. "You're being incredibly immature right now!"

"It's not our fault, Zaroon! Agar mana kar bhi dete toh woh hamey force karte." I said and he went quiet as if lost in thought.
(If we refused they would force us)

Everything that has happened, both uf didn't wanted it. We didn't want to be written in each other's lives. We didn't wanted to be each other's husband and wife.

But it isn't in our hands to write our fates.

"You're right" he said after a while and sighed. I didn't say anything.

"Sorry" he said and I ignored him.

"Acha na! I'm sorry for yelling at you. It was selfish and immature. I am truly sorry." he said, grabbing my arm.

"It was" I said, annoyed.

He smiled and I couldn't help myself but cracked one aswell.

"Acha bas senti na hojana" I said.
(Okay enough don't get sentimental)