fifteen

I was quiet after the whole encounter---- Zaroon was happy cause he just proved me wrong and that I won't go anywhere.

They didn't know how much my career mattered to me. Zaroon was a Stanford university graduate. Although he studied online for his classes.

It was because our family had newly started a business and we didn't have that much money to sent him abroad. But now we are so financially healthy.

They can send me to England, but they won't. Cause I am married and a woman. And it isn't safe for girls to travel alone.

I might agree to that cause it isn't safe. But that doesn't mean I have to stay hidden inside for the rest of my life cause of some men who are assholes and don't fear Allah.

Zaroon wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me more closer to him and for some reason, I wanted to pull away.

I felt angry and hurt. Angry with everyone and hurt by everyone.

"Tumhe andaza nahi hai Jannat mujhe kitni khushi horahi hai. Itni bezati hui hai tumhari aaj sab ke samne" Zaroon joked and laughed.
(You don't get how happy I am feeling, Jannat. You got roasted infront of everyone)

I didn't say anything just stared at him with tears in my eyes. He looked at me and noticed the tears.

"Mazak karha tha yaar" He said, his voice soft.
(I was just joking)

"Har cheez mazak karne ki nahi hoti, Zaroon!" I harshly said.
(Not everything is to joke about, Zaroon!)

His eyes slightly widened at my harshness. I hadn't talk to him in this way ever since we got along. I pushed his arm off and I got off from the stage and went to the bride's room.

I called my brother, Daniyal and told him to tell Zaroon's cousin from his mom side to drop me at home.

I was sitting in the car, crying, because I felt so hurt. I left the venue without telling anyone. I felt as if they didn't deserve to know.

"Jannat appi, rona toh band karain" Daniyal said.
(Sis, stop crying)

"Haan, Jannat bhabhi." Shazil agreed with Daniyal.
(Yeah, Jannat Sister-in-law)

"Tum dono chup hogao please" I sobbed, even though they did nothing but try to comfort.
(Shut up both of you)

"Jannat appi aap rou kyun rahi hain?" Shazil asked.
(Why are you crying?)

"Kyun ke mai ik shaddi shudda larki hoon" I cried.
(Cause I'm a married girl)

"Larki toh khair nahi rahi aap. Aurat hogai hain" Daniyal joked trying to lighten the mood. Shazil let out a chuckle but I sobbed.
(You're not a girl anymore I'd rather say you're a woman.)

"Chup hogao!" I yelled, grabbing another tissue.
(Shut up!)

"Sorry na, Jannat appi" Daniyal said, but I ignored him and continued crying.
(Sorry)

"Acha suno. Mujhe chor ghar chor kar tum dono wapis chale jana" I said, and they nodded.
(Listen. After dropping me you both go back.)

━━━━━━━

ZAROON pov:

━━━━━━━

"Zaroon Beta, Jannat kaha hain?" Dadi jaan asked
(Zaroon where is Jannat?)

"Pata nahi dadi jaan abhi toh woh bride room mai hi thi" I answered, looking around.
(I don't know grandma. She was just in the bride's room)

I knew Jannat was hurt. I know it had been her dream to go to Oxford, but she needed to understand that if we weren't allowing her to go, it was for her safety.

Every week, I hear news of women getting murdered and raped by inhumane men just for the smallest reason.

I feel chills, imagining that what if the women in my home end up on news like these. I pray for their safety every day.

"Nahi, waha toh nahi hai." dadi jaan said and just then Daniyal and Shazil entered the hall.
(Nope, she isn't there.)

"Arey, Daniyal idher ao." Dadi jaan called him.
(Daniyal come here)

"Jee, dadi jaan?" he asked.

"Jannat kidher hai?" She asked.
(Where is Jannat)

"Woh Jannat appi ghar chali gai hain." He answered.
(She has gone home)

"Kyun tabiyat toh theek hai uski?" Dadi jaan asked.
(Why is she okay?)

"Tabiyat ko toh pata nahi lekin upset thi bohut." he said and glancing at me.
(I don't know but she was upset alot)

"Acha, theek hai jao." She said to him and then left.
(Okay, you can go.)

I was angry that she had left without informing. I was angry that she couldn't understand us. Yet, I was hurt by the fact that I was the person why she was crying.

But my ego was bigger.