twenty five

I was crying---- they had beat Zaroon so much.

"Jannat, kuch nahi hota tum rona band karo." He said to me.
(Jannat, you stop crying it's nothing.)

These police officer didn't listen to us at all. And even if Zaroon and I were dating and if we were on a date, it shouldn't have mattered to them.

They should've mind their own business and fix the bigger problems in this country. For example: hanging rapists, arresting murderers and thieves.

"Mai call karwati hoon." I said, wiping my tears.
(I will make a call.)

I walked into the office, seeing one of them sitting on the chair and the other one standing. The sitting one must be the senior.

"Mujhe call karni hai." I said to the senior officer.
(I want to make a call.)

"Call karke gaaliyan sunne ga dil chah raha hai?" He asked.
(You wish to be cursed by calling?)

"Ohh uncle, gaaliyan toh tab sunti agar koi ghalat kaam kiya hota! Apne shohar ke saath chai peene aai thi kuch ghalat nahi kiya hamne!" I exclaimed.
(Ohh uncle, I would've been cursed if I did something wrong! I came to drink tea with my husband we didn't do anything wrong!)

"Dein phone. Apko toh kuch dair baad pata chale ga apne kitni bari ghalti ki hai." I said, grabbing the telephone harshly and slamming it on the table.
(Give me the phone. You'll know after a while what a big mistake you made.)

Arresting the future CEO of Nirsa industrial Co.

Huge mistake.

I pressed in the number of Taya abbu and waited while I glared at them both, my eyes filled with anger. If looks could kill they'd be dead.

"Aslam o alaykum, kon baat kar raha hai?" I heard Taya abbu's calm and confused voice.
(Who is talking?)

"Taya abbu." I said, my voice shaky as I was on the verge of crying but I controlled myself.

"Jannat?" Taya abbu asked.

"Taya abbu, mai aur Zaroon ik dhabbe par gai the aur waha yeh jahil police officers waha aaiga aur ham pe ilzam lagane lage. Hame thaane le aai aur Zaroon ko bohut maara hai in logon ne." I explained, my voice getting shaky as I thought about Zaroon.
(Older dad, me and Zaroon went to a tea stall and these ignorant police officers came there and started accusing us. They bought us to the police station and they beat Zaroon up so much.)

"Kambakth saare." I heard his curse under his breath.
(Damn them.)

"Tum pareshaan, mat ho mai aur tumhari abbu abhi aate hain." He said.
(Don't worry, me and your dad are coming.)

"Konse thaane par ho?" He asked.
(Which police station at you at?)

"Johar." I answered.

He cut the call and I slammed the phone down, glaring at them too.

"Oh bibi, zyada uchlogi toh tumhe bhi lockup mai dal deinge." The senior officer said.
(If you jump too much, we'll lock you up aswell.)

"Karein. Mai bhi dekhti hoon, aap log kese haath lagate hain mujhe." I said, confidently.
(Do it. I'll see how you'll touch me.)

I turned away and walked out to the lockup where Zaroon sat by the cell door.

"Zar, maine-maine taya abbu ko call kardeti hai. Woh jaldi hi aate hogein." I said, sniffling.
(I-I called taya abbu, he'll be coming soon.)

He nodded. His face was swollen and bruised. I know his body ached.

"Jannat, tum bench par jaake bheto." He said, after noticing that the other prisoners were looking at me.
(Jannat, go sit on the bench.)

I nodded and sat on the bench, wiping my tears and sniffling as my leg shook anxiously and I waited for them to come.

After 20 minutes, I quickly stood up seeing them. I ran to them and hugged my father tightly.

"Abbu, yeh log bohut bure hain." I cried.
(Dad, they're awful.)

He patted my head, before pulling me away. "Tum rona band karo. Ham baat karte hain." He said and I nodded.
(You stop crying. We'll talk to them.)

I nodded, pulling away. I wiped my tears and stood behind them as they walked to the office.

"Arey, Qadir aur Omer sahab? Mere thaane mai toh ronak lag gai. Chotu, jao kuch thanda le kar aao." The officer ordered.
(Qadir and Omer Sahab? My police station has lit up. Junior, go bring some cold drinks.)

"Is sab ka kya faida, Mukhtar? Meri bahu aur bete ko tum thaane le aai." Taya abbu said, coldly.
(What is the benefit of this, Mukhtar? You have bought my daughter-in-law and son to a police station.)

"J-jee?" Mukhtar stuttered.
(Wh-what?)

"Jis aadmi ko tum hawalat mai band kar chuke ho aur usse mara bhi hai, woh beta hai mera."  Taya abbu said.
(The man you have locked up and have beaten up, is my son.)

"Aur yeh" my father pointed at me "meri beti hai."
(And this is my daughter.)

I could see the colour drain from Mukhtar officer's face. The realisation had settled in him that he beat up a future CEO by his own hands.

"Ch-chotu! Zaroon sahab ko lockup se bahar karo!" Mukhtar yelled when the junior officer came running in.
(Ju-junior! Take Zaroon Sahab out of the lockup!)

"Jee, sir ji." The officer said and ran away.
(Yes, sir.)

"Heh.. bihut bold hai apki beti." Mukhtar said, trying to lighten up the mood but we just stared at him.

Zaroon walked-- more like limped into the room. Our fathers eyes widened at his condition and taya abbu glared at the police officer who looked nervous.

I held onto Zaroon's arm, tears once again gathering in my eyes.

"Bohut bari ghalti kardi tumne." Taya abbu said and we left the police station.
(You made a huge mistake.)

"Itni buri tareeke se maara hai. Gaaliyan dene ka dil kar raha hai." I said as I sat in the backseat with Zaroon, tapping a tissue on his lip to remove the blood.
(They beat him so badly. I want to curse them.)

"Mai complain karonga. Uske boss se." Taya abbu said as he drove the car.
(I'll complain. To their boss.)

Zaroon groaned and hissed whenever my touch pained him. "Sorry." I mumbled, before turning his face to the side and looking at his bruises.

━━━━━━━

"Arey, mere bacha." Tayi ammi cried as she sat next to Zaroon.
(Oh, my son.)

"Ammi bas kardein, bacha nahi hoon mai." Zaroon said.
(Ammi enough, I'm not a kid.)

"Maa ke liye bacha bacha ki rahega hamesha." Tayi ammi said.
(A son will always be a kid for the mother forever.)

"Ab se nikkah naama saath leke ghumonga." He said.
(Now I'll carry nikkah form with me.)

I took Zaroon to our room. I helped him get undress as it was hard for him to move his body alot.

"Should I take a shower with you?" I asked, quietly. He smirked.

"Of course." He said.

I turned the water to cold and got undressed, stepping inside the shower and closing the glass door behind. I cleaned his bruises first gently before we got to the good part.