thirty one

author's note: as i have been rewriting this book. i was reading my old writing and realised how cringe and awful this book used to be😭

my heart goes to the people who read this book BEFORE it was rewritten.

━━━━━━━

ZAROON pov:

━━━━━━━

2 weeks had passed---- since I got news of Jannat's pregnancy. I had immediately went home after thay day and told everyone.

At first everyone was happy and congratulated me before congratulating each other and then Aisha chachi started panicking because Jannat was alone and dealing with symptoms.

So my first instinct was to book a flight ticket, but every ticket had been sold for 2 weeks straight.

I had called Jannat multiple times but she wouldn't pick up. I know she was scared. Becoming parents hadn't been the first thing on our lists.

I was reading a pregnancy book as I sat in my seat on my second flight, wasting time until I reached England.

"Oh, congratulations." The older woman who sat beside me said. I looked at her, my facial like always neutral.

"Thank you." I only said.

"I'm sure you're nervous, I get it. My husband had fainted when I was expecting my first child." The woman said and laughed, looking at the small TV screen infront of her.

I stopped reading and listened to her.

"And now I'm going to London because my fourth son just had his baby girl." She smiled.

"I'm going to my wife, she's alone." I said.

"Why is she alone?" She asked, looking at me.

"She came to Oxford from Pakistan, to study fashion designing." I answered.

"Oh, my younger daughter wants to become one aswell." She said and pointed at her teenager daughter beside her who was busy watching a movie with headphones covering her ears.

"Is.. it scary? Parenthood?" I asked, slowly.

"Oh, for sure. It's unexpected, new, and surprising. I could never think what my children were planning on making a mess with next. The childbirth may be the most scariest thing in whole of parenthood." She said, looking at the screen.

"My second pregnancy, my husband was trying to get me to abort our baby because the doctors had told him that I could lose my life." She told.

I felt my breathing quicken, what if it's the same for Jannat? I can't lose her. I was with the lady's husband on this side.

If our baby made complications for Jannat, I would tell her to abort it aswell. We can try again but I can not lose Jannat at any cost.

"But I was confident. I taped his mouth and said that I was going to give birth to the child and be healthy as ever. He believed me and I believed in God. And now look at me." She said and chuckled.

"You don't know what to expect in labour. It's scary, it's painful but if you put your trust in God everything will be fine. And your wife won't even remember the pain after she holds your child in her arms." She smiled.

I looked at the seat infront of me, lost in thought.

"The newborn days might be rough but it's something you would want to hold onto. Time passes quickly and you won't even realise how the baby who was hungry all the time was now making a mess in the kitchen or has started school or is graduating college." She said.

I looked out the window, seeing the clouds and the setting sun. The beautiful view warmth my heart. It filled my heart with happiness of the upcoming days.

I am going to be a father.

That stubborn angry chick who used to hit me for purposely breaking her dolls was going to be a mother. A mother to our child.

"I pray you and your wife have a healthy pregnancy." The woman smiled and I looked at her. I smiled back a little before looking out the window again.

Indeed, God is great.

━━━━━━━

JANNAT pov:

━━━━━━━

Candies were spread all around me. Pooja had bought me a numerous amount of candy because I had a mental breakdown that I wanted chocolate.

I stared at my TV, smiling and chuckling at the unhinged dialogues as I wiped the chocolate on the wrapper before throwing it away.

I rested my hand on my stomach, careesing it, unknowingly.

I had been ignoring Zaroon's call. I only answered my mother's calls who would make me talk to every single person except Zaroon. Who seemed busy always.

I grabbed the twizzlers packet and ripped it open before taking a stick out. My door bell rang after a few hours.

I checked the time and it was 1 pm on Saturday. It must be Pooja. I got up, fixing my crop top and sweatpants before walking to the door.

I opened it and froze, seeing him stand infront of me.

"Zaroon." I whispered.

He was here. In Oxford. In England. In the United Kingdom. Outside my dorm!

I burst into tears and hugged him tightly, ignoring the bouquet of flowers he was holding for me. He hugged back, his hand resting on my stomach as I cried into the side of his neck.

I don't know why I was crying. Maybe I was surprised. Maybe I was happy. Maybe I was scared.

But I was glad to have him with me.