Fractured Spaces

Denise

I couldn't sleep. Last night's argument with Preston kept playing in my mind. I felt trapped, angry, and helpless. I needed to get out, to clear my head. So, I got up before the sun and put on my running clothes.

The air was cool and refreshing as I started my run. I pushed myself hard, trying to outrun my thoughts. My anger at Preston fueled me, and the miles flew by. At the four-mile mark, I finally slowed down, gasping for breath. I stopped near a bench, bending over with my hands on my knees.

Just as I was starting to catch my breath, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Without thinking, I spun around and elbowed the person in the face. He went down with a grunt, and I followed up with a kick to his groin before I realized who it was.

"Ah, damn!" the man groaned, clutching his nose and stomach.

I looked closer and gasped. "Kevin? Oh my God, I'm so sorry! I didn't know it was you!"

Kevin looked up at me, his face twisted in pain. "I didn't.... mean to scare..you. I was just on a run and....saw you. I tried calling ..your name, but you didn't respond."

I felt awful. "I'm so, so sorry. Let me help you."
I helped him to his feet, noticing the blood dripping from his nose. "Your house is close, right? Let's get you cleaned up."

Kevin nodded, still hunched over from the pain. "Yeah, it's just about ten minutes away."

We walked slowly to his house. It was a small but cozy place, nestled on a quiet street. He directed me to the bathroom where I found tissues and a small ice pack.

"Sit down," I instructed, handing him a handful of tissues. "Hold your head up and press this against your nose. I'll get some ice for your head."

Kevin did as I said, and I hurried to the kitchen to prepare a more substantial ice pack. When I returned, he was sitting on the couch, still holding his nose.

"Here," I said, placing the ice pack on his head. "Hold this against your forehead. It'll help with the swelling."

We sat in silence for a few moments. "I'm really sorry," I repeated. "I was so on edge, I just reacted."

Kevin managed a small smile. "I should've been more careful. I didn't mean to sneak up on you. At least I know you can take care of yourself."

I smiled back, relieved that he wasn't angry. "Still, I feel awful. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Kevin shrugged, then winced again. "It's just... you helped me out so much with organizing and coordinating the upcoming football tournament, I saw you and I wanted to thank you again."

"You really saved me," he said, smiling. "I was drowning in all the logistics."

I laughed. "I'm just glad it all worked out. It was a team effort."

Kevin shook his head. "No, really. You took charge and made things happen. It was impressive."

I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. "Thanks, Kevin. That means a lot."

"I'm glad I could help," I said. "Sometimes, we all need a little support." Kevin nodded. "Yeah, we do."

I noticed a bit more blood on his upper lip and instinctively reached out to clean it. As I did, I remembered the kick to his groin. "I'm really sorry for, well, hitting you in your private parts," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

Kevin chuckled, though it was clear he was still in pain. "It's okay. I've taken worse hits on the field."

We laughed together, and the tension finally eased. I helped Kevin clean up the last of the blood, making sure he was comfortable. As I leaned in close to lift his head and check his nose, I realized how close I was to him. Our laughter faded, and I could feel the warmth of his breath on my skin.