CHAPTER 4: What's Your Story?

Nobody POV

"So she just pushed you? Did you actually see what happened?" Mike asked with his brows up and his I-can't-believe-you-look, as soon as Max finished explaining to them about the accident.

Max just nodded his head and shook his head at the same time.

"It happened fast, man. My brain just wasn't fast enough to process all that happened. One moment I was talking with my mom on the phone, the next I was on the ground and there was this woman not far from me, bleeding. It took me a while before I realized what had happened"

"I'm glad you are okay." Debbie said while still rubbing Max's arm. Her eyes were still red from crying the day before. Max and Joe are all she has after her husband died five years ago.

"Did you have that check?" Joe was pointing at the cut on Max's forehead.

"Yeah, the doctor said it's not deep, so it doesn't need any sutures or anything" Explained Max while walking closer to the woman lying on the bed.

"I don't know who you are but I owe you my life. Thank you." Debbie whispers to the woman's ear but loud enough for them to hear, before she kisses the woman on her forehead.

Max POV

I had my PA bring me some change clothes and some files from the office. I told her to cancel all my meetings for the next few days and that I don't want to be disturbed. Unless it is something urgent.

My mom said she doesn't mind staying in so that I could go home and rest but I refused. It's not right for me to leave. I don't want to leave Ella alone. I want to be here for her.

Mike, Joe and mom left an hour ago after we grabbed breakfast together at the hospital cafeteria. They were just as surprised as I was when I told them this stranger girl saved my life. It could have been me. They promised they will visit again later. Mom promised to bring in some food from home. I think she didn't fancy the hospital food that much.

I have emailed you the info on the girl. Do you need me to come in? - Sebastian

I quickly checked my email and saw the said email.

To: Maxwell Xavier

From: Sebastian Frederick

Re: Information on Ms Adam

In New York for leisure purposes since 21st May 2017. Alone.

Flying in from Kuala Lumpur. Next destination, Barcelona.

Stayed in Red B&B downtown NY since arrival.

According to the staff at Red B&B she was never seen with anyone.

Attached are a few pictures of her from the Cctv at Red B&B and a coffee shop nearby.

-Sebastian

Checked her out. Bring all her stuff to the penthouse - I texted Sebastian as I opened the attachment files from the email.

And there she was.

There were two photos of her looking down at her book, she was at what seemed to be a coffee shop. And, another photo at the B&B where she was eating alone. She was wearing a white shirt and ripped off jeans and she had her leather rucksack placed on another empty chair. Thinking of all the stuff she has in her rucksack, makes me roll my eyes again.

She didn't look happy. She didn't look sad either. The photos from the CCTV were taken two days ago.

I take a close look at her face. She is one cute little thing.

For some reason I couldn't help myself from smiling.

It's a long way from home Ms Adam. And, alone? What's your story? Why, Barcelona?