38

•Chapter Thirty-Eight•

•Lane•

The day after me and Rafe returned, we celebrated our engagement with a small dinner with both of our parents and best friends.

I had went to see Kiara and the boys that afternoon and they congratulated me and wished me a happy birthday, which I thought was sweet.

I had been feeling even more sick since my birthday trip, but I pushed it away and focused my attention on Topper since he was having a party for his birthday.

It was the next day and me and Rafe were getting ready for my best friends party.

"You okay" My fiancé asked, coming up from behind and swaying the two of us. I was feeling extremely nauseous and exhausted, but I lied instead because I didn't want to miss this.

"Of course, just ready to get there" I smiled, turning my head to the side to place a light kiss to his nose.

"We don't have to stay for long, I know he won't mind" He sighed and I nodded.

I grabbed his hand in mine and guided us downstairs, saying goodbye to my parents before walking out of the door and to my jeep.

I handed my phone to him and shortly I heard The Weeknd playing, he'll never get tired of listening to him.

After a few minutes, we had arrived and gazed at the packed house full of Topper's friends. I turned to Rafe and he laughed at my expression, already knowing that I would stick by him and only him.

We walked toward the house and I held back the urge to vomit from the smell of sweat and alcohol.

"Woah, are you sure you're okay?" He asked, watching me hold onto the door handle and close my eyes.

"It's just overwhelming, we haven't been to a party in forever" I laughed it off and watched his uncertain eyes scan over my face.

I squeezed his hand and pushed open the door, seeing the different colored lights flash in different directions.

We squeezed through the crowd and found Topper and Sarah in a corner, making out. I wasn't surprised, because I knew they finally admitted their feelings and just announced their relationship right before we left for my trip.

"Yo" I yelled, nudging my foot into my best friends leg. Their lips parted and I could feel the discomfort radiating off of Rafe who was still beside me.

They both looked up and their smiled widened once they got up to hug us. "Hey twin" Topper slurred and I had to resist from gagging due to the liquor that was all over him.

"Hi" I smiled, patting his back before backing away and hugging Sarah. "Laneyyy" She giggled, a drunk mess.

The party had started at ten, but it was eleven now so I knew they must've pregamed when it was just them.

"Come on, let's go get a drink" He yelled over the blaring music, making me quickly decline as Rafe took mine for me.

I smiled as the three of them did shots together, making me wonder why my body was rejecting alcohol for the first time.

"You okay?" Topper asked once he swallowed his shot. "Yeah, just don't feel like drinking tonight" I shrugged and he frowned but nodded.

I sat and talked with Sarah for a bit as Rafe and Topper went to talk with some of their friends that they hadn't seen in forever.

"Care to dance, M'lady?" I turned my head and smiled at Rafe, accepting his hand as an upbeat song came through the speakers.

Our laughs mixed with the screams from the other people around us who were yelling the lyrics.