Chapter 1

The Michigan sky had faded to black, but the two hunters didn't notice the stars speckling the heavens overhead like pinholes in construction paper. They were too busy studying the frozen ground underneath their blind. The temperature had dropped with the setting sun, but neither man would admit he was cold. Thankfully, the blind was nestled in the trees at the edge of a cornfield, so the walled structure saved them from the worst of the wind.

What they were doing was technically illegal since it was an hour after dark. However, no one would report their poaching— Jason was sure of that. They were on private land. His dad's farm. Besides, the closest neighbor was a half-mile away, and they'd be out spotting deer tonight as well. Times were tough. With rising grocery prices, a freezer full of venison would let a family put food on the table and still pay the mortgage. And since their wages at the packaging plant were barely above the state minimum, the cousins could use all the help they could get.

Jason was younger by a year, but the men could've passed for twins. They were both of average height and build with scruffy beards and cheap haircuts usually covered by ball caps. Tonight they wore orange wool hats instead. As Jason studied the shadowy field below them, he heard a twig snap in the distance.

Derek whispered, "I bet it's the herd finally coming in."

"Are you sure? It could be the Great Pumpkin." Jason raised his high-powered spotlight to the opening, aiming it at their bait pile.

Ignoring the jab, the older cousin said, "Hold up. The buck is always the last one to come out."

"I know. I'm not stupid." Jason moved his finger over the switch but left the spotlight off.

A minute went by. Then another. Neither man dared to move as countless deer emerged from the trees to graze in the field. Eventually, a larger shape joined the herd. Its antlers were barely visible against the dark night.

Derek tapped Jason on the leg before raising his rifle to his shoulder. His message was clear— be ready! Jason leaned forward on his stool, his focus on the horned beast at the rear of the pack. Derek rested the gun stock on the windowsill to steady the muzzle. He brought an eye to the sight, leaving the other one open so he could zero his crosshairs on the target.

"Now," Derek whispered.

Jason turned on the spotlight.

Almost as bright as the sun, the thousand lumens lit up the field beneath them. The herd consisted of at least twenty does and a buck— a giant eight-pointer. The light trapped most of them where they stood. A few deer managed to run off, but not the buck. He was pinned to his spot by the high-powered light.

It was an easy shot from only thirty yards away. Jason would've liked the kill for himself, but it was his cousin's turn. Jason had taken the last buck to come their way. Derek placed his finger on the trigger and pulled back slowly as he exhaled. The rifle cracked loudly as the bullet left the barrel at three thousand feet per second. In the blink of an eye, the tiny projectile punctured the creature's hide, missed a rib, and shredded its heart.

The buck didn't register the mortal wound— not until it took three leaping steps and collapsed in the bait pile. The remaining deer disappeared into the darkness.

"Nice shot," Jason said.

Derek replied, "Yeah. It would've sucked to have to track it in this cold."

"Tell me about it."

Jason gathered their supplies while Derek secured his weapon. All packed up, the pair descended the fifteen feet to the ground. Jason aimed the light at their kill. Blood seeped from the buck's side, soaking the kernels of corn underneath its cooling body. Kneeling next to it, they studied the buck's antlers. Both men whistled at the huge rack.

MONSTRXXS (Book 2, the Cryptid Chronicles)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें