Heist One

Lil sat at the table in the corner, facing the door. She opened her computer and ordered a cappuccino. They were expensive and gross, but it was the only way Lil would be able to stay. And she needed to stay.

Only a few seconds after getting her cappuccino, Lil spotted the target. He walked in with another man, but they weren't talking. They sat at the table in front of Lil. She resisted the urge to squirm. Normally she was never this close to them. 

She moved her fingers over the keys on her computer. She loved the feeling. It calmed her. She never understood why everyone used the projector keyboard instead.

She took a sip of her drink and got to work, ignoring the fact that the liquid had burned her mouth a bit. 

Every few seconds she would glance at the two men. She started to feel a little self-conscious of her clacking keys, but then reminded herself this was a university town. Her younger age made herself look like a college kid. Everyone would think she was working on homework.

Her heart raced when one of the men looked up, but then calmed again when she saw it was just so he could order a refill on his coffee. He had no idea she was hacking into his phone.

When Lil pressed the last key, she breathed an internal sigh of relief. Adrenaline was rushing through her blood. It was always there, no matter how much she did this. But she relished it. It made her feel alive.

She sipped up the last of her scalding cappuccino and left the money on the table as she stood. Shutting her computer always gave her a feeling of satisfaction. She calmly walked out of the cafe, the bell above the door dinging as she slipped out.

Lil smiled as she walked down the sidewalk. She'd done it again.

...

"Bro, no." Lil rolled her eyes.

"Oh, c'mon!" Jason protested. "You never drink!"

"I'm only 20, Jason."

"No, really, Lil!" Jannie agreed, hooking her arm around Jason -her twin brother- so tightly he looked squashed. "Join us! Plus, we're in Britain! You don't need to be 21 to drink!"

"I'm just here to talk with you guys." Lil held her ground. "It's my policy. I don't drink."

"Let's see if you really stick to that." Jason rolled his eyes and untangled himself from his sister's arm.

Jannie and Jason pulled Lil to the entrance of the bar. The attendant eyed them, but he didn't say anything as he inspected their ID's.

"Which one of you is the designated driver?" He asked as he handed back the ID's.

Lil smiled triumphantly at the two twins. "I am."

"Ugh, fine, you get out of it this time." Jason grumbled.

"Darn right, I do." Lil agreed. She nodded happily to the attendant as they entered. They sat down at the counter, and Jason and Jannie ordered their drinks.

"So, what'd you get this time?" Jannie asked eagerly.

"Check it out." Lil grinned and showed them her phone's screen.

"Woah, three Mil?" Jason exclaimed. Jannie's jaw dropped.

"The guy was loaded. He probably won't realize it's gone until later. Plenty more to spare." 

"And he was going to that dingy cafe?" Jason gave a disbelieving chuckle. "To think- when I go to the bathroom I could be one stall away from a billionaire!"

Lil shrugged, smiling. "Well, one Mil goes to the shelter."

"You still doing that?" Jannie asked. "Well, it's you're money now, I guess."

"Bruh, I would spend that on a house!" Jason exclaimed, leaning back in his seat. "I wouldn't have to live in that tiny apartment anymore!"

Jannie elbowed him. "You mean WE wouldn't have to live in that tiny apartment anymore?"

"Urm... uh, sure."

Lil shook her head, laughing. But the laugh died in her throat when she caught a man in the corner of the bar eyeing her. His alcohol drink was sitting beside him, forgotten. Fear crept up Lil's spine when they maintained eye contact for a second, but then he looked down and picked up his drink to sip from it. 

Lil forced herself to look away and focus on the conversation more, but her mind wouldn't let it go.

It was nothing.

Right?

- - -

This story was in the back of my head for a while. The more I think about it, the more I like it. So I'm writing it. I mean, what do you think of this story so far (I know it's only the first chapter, but...)

Anyway, please follow me, vote, and comment! Thx!

-VictoryGreen8