Chapter 10: Training

Toren Daen

I pulled myself shakily from the floor where I had collapsed, the lingering aftereffects of the dream a burning coil of emotion in my core.

I carefully settled my emotions, the recurring image of Norgan's death replaying painfully in my head. I wasn't just Toren, and I wasn't just me. I was something in-between; something else. Though I was more Earthen than Alacryan in spirit, what tied each half together was the pain we felt watching Norgan die.

I didn't know why the death of Toren's brother hurt the side of 'me' from Earth so much. Norgan was practically identical to my previous life's brother in physical appearance, true, but otherwise, there was no relation. But something compelled both my halves towards utter anger. And with our new resources, exacting real vengeance should be possible.

I slowly went back over the events of last afternoon in my mind, shivering at the recollection of Lady Dawn's King's Force–killing intent, whatever it was called–pressing into my body.

At least my ribs and forearm were whole now, my healing factor finally mending my body. Though after a quick removal of my bandages, I noticed a nasty scar stretched where my forearm wound used to be.

But another difference in my body was immediately noticeable. A tattoo of red chains coiled around and up my right arm like a serpent, crossing my shoulder and ending over my sternum.

I suppressed a gulp at witnessing the chains. I had likened the contract I would be taking earlier to a prison. It seemed I wasn't far off, but it was a chain I had agreed to leash myself with.

Glancing inward at my core, I noticed an immediate difference: I had advanced to the light orange stage of core development, granting a decent boost in mana reserves and purity. Small yellow runes now scrawled across its surface, glowing like coals and pulsing in rhythm with my heart.

I could also feel something–someone–pressing against my mind. It was a strange sensation, almost like an innate sense that I wasn't alone.

Lady Dawn? I thought across the tether, probing uncertainly.

I got no response.

"Lady Dawn?" I tried aloud, a bit worried. I needn't be, though, because my vision was awash with a familiar dark atmosphere with mist edging around the corners of my sight.

I was going to need to call this vision something. Maybe the Unseen? A bit on the nose perhaps, but the similarities were obvious.

I flinched slightly under Lady Dawn's gaze, the lingering touch of her King's Force burned into my mind. I forcefully suppressed what was definitely a very traumatic experience and forged ahead.

I nodded politely. "Thank you for trusting me," I said earnestly, moving to a more comfortable position. "I, um... I'm going to buy some food, then search for a proper weapon." I shifted under her sun-like gaze, then ironed my resolve. "After that, I'll go back to the forest," I bit out. I really didn't want to go back to the forest south of Fiachra, but it was the only place nearby besides the Relictombs–Fiachra did have an Ascension Portal, but I was far from powerful enough to be an ascender–where mana beasts were abundant. Furthermore, it would provide me some much-needed privacy to train my abilities, whatever they would be.

Even if my near-death experiences there were of nothing but pain.

Lady Dawn tilted her head. "And why, Contractor, have you called to tell me this?"

I hesitated, asking myself inwardly that exact question. "Because if we're going to work together to get me more powerful, it doesn't seem fair to leave you out of the loop of my plans," I said slowly. I really did not want to piss the phoenix off again. Catching her off guard so thoroughly yesterday had backfired miserably. And I hoped our relationship could shift to one of mutual benefit. The first step towards that was honesty.