Chapter 46: Aftermath

Toren Daen

I coughed out a spittle of blood, staring up into the sky. The autumn leaves split the sun's rays in a strange pattern, casting the small clearing in heavenly light. My mouth tasted like iron and copper.

The blood streaming from my chest was warm. That felt like a strange thing to focus on as you died, but I was having trouble stringing together coherent thoughts. The skaunter corpses around me, all in various states of death, told the story of my recent battle.

I had fared far worse against the beasts than I expected. Without Norgan, I was only as fast as an unad. I had no way to block a strike, and my best weapon was a spray of rocks.

I had gone into the battle feeling a strange sort of relief. I was going to see Norgan again. I had no need to worry about tomorrow. Tomorrow would never come. I didn't have to worry about scrounging up next month's rent or reporting for my job on time. There was no need to constantly think about my next meal, or how I would afford new clothes.

It would be over soon. I could let it all go.

But as my life's blood leaked into the dirt, it washed over my fury at Blood Joan. Why should I spend my last moments so wrapped up in hate? My end already felt like a waste.

So instead, I found myself feeling a deep sadness. I had accomplished my goal. Blood Joan would never reap my soul for themselves, for I had taken this option myself.

I supposed that was what it all boiled down to. The choice I made was my own, and none could take that from me. But I found myself lamenting the fact that I hadn't made a difference. Blood Joan would take another young boy's brother someday, and the cycle would continue.

My eyes fluttered. Depending on where you were cut, it could take several seconds to many minutes to bleed out. Despite the pain in my chest–which was quickly melting away–I wondered why I had never been so introspective before.

When my eyes blinked open slowly, I was surprised to see someone floating down from on high. Their hair was like the sunrise, flaring out in a tapestry of orange. Her dress rustled gently from an unseen breeze, and her dusky purple skin contrasted with the glow of her eyes.

"Are you a god?" I asked, the pain from my moving chest inconsequential. I always wondered where I would go when I died. The Vritra Doctrination didn't preach about what happened after you died in service of the Sovereigns, only that it would bring you glory to do so. I remembered a man who died on the operating table, calling out to phantom shadows of his loved ones who had come to whisk him away.

I realized I would have felt a semblance of peace having Norgan take me to wherever was next.

The ethereal woman, who was slightly translucent, paused at my question. "I am not," she replied, her voice melodic.

"Am I going to see heaven?" I asked. If she wasn't a god, then this spirit might serve one.

She watched me for a long moment, those blazing eyes intent. "I do not know what lay for you beyond," she said. "But I come bearing an offer for you."

I blinked slowly, my thoughts running thick as sap as blood slowly pooled beneath me. "I do not know if I can accept, holy one. My body is broken."

And I wanted to see Norgan again. The woman might not know what I would see, but I knew my brother would be there. Felt it in every drop of blood that left my body.

"It is in regards to your body," the woman said, drifting closer. "Are you willing to give it up for another?"

"For you?" I asked. The woman was beautiful, and the power she contained only became clearer as my own strength waned.