9 | ''victoria''

"𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘢 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘢𝘯. 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘦𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶."

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐥𝐥 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲'𝐥𝐥 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞. I'm the police chief. I can get rid of any evidence, not that there will be much because I'm a professional and know the inner workings of the force and procedure, so it will look like a simple animal attack. Those have become more common recently."

Emma's tried so find to find humor in Charlie's rant about how he was going to kill Edward Cullen, but her mind was too preoccupied with another Cullen to really pay attention.

After months of Bella and Jacob growing closer, more hanging out with the Clearwater siblings and Billy, Jacob chopping his hair off and getting jarringly buff, Bella trying to kill herself – intentional or not, that was still up for debate – with motorbike accidents and cliff diving, and then Bella running off to Italy while telling absolutely no one and scarring the absolute shit out of Charlie and Emma, the Cullens had returned.

Bella had only gotten home yesterday, and though she was grounded for life, Charlie allowed her to go over to the Cullens house. Emma knew that Charlie wouldn't be angry forever, and he was glad that Bella seemed finally, truly happy with her boyfriend returning. She also suspected that Charlie just wanted Bella out of the house so he could drink beer and plot Edward's demise without her nagging him. It had been Billy inviting her over that Emma found out that Edward and the rest of the Cullen family had returned. That Dr. Cullen had returned to Forks.

Emma didn't know how to feel. Part of her yearned to find Carlisle and allow him to wrap her in his arms once more, but the other part, the rational part, didn't want apologies and rekindling. He had left her. He had a choice to stay or to go, and he chose to go. She could understand that he left for his family, though she did not know why or what had happened. Family was the most important thing to him. She would never ask him to chose her over them.

It was that he wouldn't even say goodbye in person, leaving that note on her counter like it made up for him abandoning her. She thought their relationship meant enough that he would at least respect her enough to give her a proper goodbye. But she guessed it wasn't, considering all he thought she deserved was a flimsy piece of paper.

"Just say the word, Em, and I can get the doctor out as well. Now, considering he is a doctor and saves peoples' lives and all, I won't kill him like I will the kid, but I can run him out of town." Emma knew that Charlie wouldn't go through with his threats yet, but she found comfort in his protectiveness over her. She could honestly say that Charlie Swan was her best friend in Forks, though she would never admit that to Leah or Seth, who would be absolutely heartbroken.

She patted Charlie's arm in thanks. "I'll keep that in mind. And if you need someone to help you bury the body, hit me up. I'll be there before you can say 'Edward.' I do live right across the street after all. The two of us together, we can make sure there are no witnesses," she joked. She didn't hold a vendetta against Edward like Charlie did for what he put Bella through, but that didn't mean she wasn't still furious and wanted to throttle the teen for leaving her alone in the woods.