CHAPTER 1: Haunt

AZURA

Who says you can move forward with your past, especially if the past has unfinished business? Moving forward can only take you so long before your past catches up and asks you to confront it. Mind it confrontation doesn't mean that there was no closure. Closure brings you the strength to move forward. But confrontation elevates you further along the path where you're supposed to go on. Confront, give closure, and see how elevated you get.

*'*'*

If I said I was in disbelief, I would be undermining the shock which I was reeling with. Currently, here I was, sitting on the couch in Jack's old home. Salvus City had my old house too, but it had been long since I made my home at Dolphin Square. However, right now, I was all but lost at the newly arisen situation, or if I may, a person, who had somehow reincarnated. Jack sat beside me as we both faced the black haired woman who seemed so young yet aged. If I had to name her after all the fantasies we had been through, I would say Sleeping Beauty had come to life.

"I'll go wait in the car." I had said, witnessing the situation but Jack clung to my arm as he held on.

"No, please, stay." He had whispered as he looked at me, shocked, scared, and vulnerable with clouded yet broken eyes.

"How?" Jack's question to Rena brought me back to my current unrest. His dark stormy eyes were filled with doubt and I knew he was wondering if this was a trick of the Shadow. I wanted to fill the silence with my questions too. But I thought better of it and stayed quiet as I watched the exchange of conversation between the siblings without a word spoken.

So, I took out my phone, pretending to have a call and walked away. I knew Jack was looking at me, following me with his eyes but I guess my ruse was believable since he didn't question it. And I wasn't that far away as well. I was close enough to seep comfort to him while being at a safe distance so that they could talk in peace.

I ended up calling Rose after all and filled in the information of last night and what was happening. She did mention that everyone was worried before they saw the note. They were still at Rose's farmhouse, packing everything up. By the evening, they'd reach home. Then Rose asked me the questions that I had no answer to.

'Wasn't Rena dead?', 'Jack told us she died, didn't he?', 'How is Rena alive?' and so on. I didn't know anything enough to give a clearer answer so I stuck with 'I don't know'. The call ended shortly after and I had no choice but to trot back in as I heard them already talking.

"You can't simply say that you don't know what happened or where you were all that time, Rena!" Jack almost yelled in frustration. I sat beside him again, a little closer this time. I saw that Rena perceived the closeness and the comfort Jack had received just through my presence. I touched the back of my hand to Jack's in an unintentional yet automatic caress. I saw how it took effect on him. He took in a deep breath, trying to keep his boiling agitation under control. Rena seemed to be apprehensive about it.

"I thought you said Rena died." I whispered, looking at the woman once again, wondering if she was truly here or was only a holographic representation.

"I never said she died. I told you she was in a coma and we lost her." Jack replied, turmoil still shrouding his eyes. He was searching for explanations which he had hoped Rena would give him. But judging by his confusion, I figured she hadn't.

"I was home while mom was at work and Addison at school. I hadn't checked in on her because it would break my heart to watch her in that state. When mom came home, she went to see her but she wasn't there. I was home all day so I knew she didn't wake up and walk out. But it panicked us. I called Addison and asked her to come home but she knew nothing about it. Rena simply vanished." Jack kept talking as though she wasn't here. As though, he still believed that Rena was lost.