Chapter Four: Fantasies and Fallacies

CIERRE

As my boyfriend's sleek, dark gray Tesla autopilots us to my Beverly Hills home, he vents about the Dolphins' downfall. I lend sympathetic coos and tiny giggles when needed, but I'm an Eagles girl. He already knows that, but I stood by my man for the Super Bowl, at least physically, but internally, I was rooting for Jalen's fine self the entire time.

After a freeing sigh, Tari leans over and kisses my cheek's dimple. The indention deepens as he caresses his thumb across my chin. Partnered with a fetching grin, he says in his irresistible New Orleans accent, "You're a rider, for real, babygirl." He sticks his succulent lips onto mine.

I smooch him back and moan a soft "Mmm. Thank you, love." He reclines, his hand gently resting on the denim covering my upper thigh. "I'm sorry your team lost, but I hope you had fun with my friends."

"Fo' sho', ya friends always show me love," he says, gently squeezing.

"Even Amel?"

"I mean, is she ya friend?"

"We're trying to be cordial again, so it's in the works. How do you...feel about that?"

Tari removes his touch from my thigh and scratches the bristles on his chin. "I trust you. I'm cool with that as long as Amel doesn't bring drama into your life. You've been doin' good lately."

I capture his grasp and pull it into my lap. "I don't think they will. We have to muddle through some stuff, but Mel never has bad intentions. She's just passionate, and I'm a crybaby."

"Aye, fuck that. You're not a crybaby. You're connected with your emotions. Ain't shit wrong with that."

Laughing ironically, I reply, "Well, technically...it is. I strongly connect with my feelings, but the signal is...unstable. Amel makes it even shakier, turning simple disagreements into nightmares. But that's a 'me' problem I have to work through. I know reconnecting with them is risky, but I have no choice since production's approaching. Plus, I believe her presence in my life is worth trying for. I want to try to rebuild a piece of what we lost."

Tari's quiet for a while, eyeing the road as we enter my neighborhood. "I'm cool with my baby momma, so I understand living in harmony with an ex. Although, the shit she put you through mentally wasn't acceptable."

I exhale heavily and shift my focus to the scenery outside the window. Mansions blur by until we pull into my estate. I buzz us in with my keychain. "T, Amel can't control my mental state and how I react or perceive certain things. Only I can. They're not innocent, but they also didn't mistreat me. We were just young. I had no idea about my...my...disorder."

I unbuckle my seatbelt and wait for a response from Tari. His jaw clenches as he stares out the front windshield. The soft glow of the outdoor solar lights beautifully enhances his chiseled jawline. "Baby, I don't want you to get hurt again," he says, gazing at me with sweet concern. "I won't act like I know Amel personally, but she wasn't too happy to meet me. When we were getting cake, she said she didn't have to accept me or respect you and I's relationship. I'm not trying to speak ill, but I'm unsure if that's someone you should have around."

My head tilts sideways, and my forehead creases in confusion. "Wait, run that back?"

"What do you mean?"

"I need more information. Why would they say that?"

"Baby, I don't know," Tari says, shrugging with a slight scowl. "We went from discussing cake to her being disrespectful. She said she was joking. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but I want you to be cautious."

I take a few seconds to scrutinize any changes in my partner's face and review his tone and mannerisms. I don't believe he's lying, but Amel avoids disrespecting anyone unless they throw the first jab. I close my eyes and wiggle my toes, centering myself until my chaotic thoughts pause.