10 | ''a physical necessity''

"𝘢𝘴 𝘢𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘪 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘴 𝘮𝘦, 𝘪 𝘢𝘮 𝘢 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘱𝘢."

𝐄𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞

𝐄𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞. No, her attention was still on the doctor before her, eyes so vibrantly gold they seem inhuman. And his complexion, so fair like he was made of the finest porcelain. His features so sharp, so perfect, like he was carved out of marble by Michelangelo himself. A man so alluring, so enticing, so beautiful, was a creature from the pages of her childhood horror stories.

Carlisle felt his heart crack as she pulled herself back on the desk, pulling her leg away from his reach. Her eyes were wide, staring at him with fear. The image was somehow more torturous than what he had imagined. She was staring at him like he was a monster. And he was. And that was what was so devastating about it all.

It took everything in him to hold her gaze with that look in her eye. He needed to be confident and comforting. If he approached her with uncertainty, she would only distrust him more. He understood how seemingly impossible the entire situation was, and she would only be able to understand it if he met her fear with compassion. Luckily, that was something Carlisle excelled in.

He spoke to her gently, his body language slow and reserved so she would not feel threatened, which of course she would have no reason to be from him. "I will answer anything you wish to know. I will not keep secrets from you any longer." Her eyes narrowed with skepticism, glancing between him and over his shoulder, where the door was closed. He sighed. "And if after all of this, you have no desire to see me ever again, then I will leave you in peace. You will never be touched by my world again." Though his assurance hurt his heart, he knew he meant every word. If she asked him to go, he would go. He could deny her nothing.

After a moment, Emma nodded. She didn't relax, but the fact that she was willing to hear him out gave Carlisle hope. "Do you... eat people?" Her face flushed with embarrassment from the implication and from just the pure insanity that that was a serious question leaving her lips.

Carlisle found it adorable that she was flustered from asking him a perfectly reasonable question, one that if she asked everyone else, she would receive a much more frightening answer.

"Not eat. We feed off blood," he explained. "But my family are vegetarians."

"I'm a vegetarian," she perked at the possibility that they didn't eat meat or drink blood.

Carlisle bit his lip to stop himself from smiling at her adorableness. "No, we do drink blood. It's an inside joke with the family." He winced apologetically when her hopeful expression fell. "We don't drink human blood, is what I mean. We can survive off animal blood. The only difference is that it turns our eyes gold and is less enticing as human blood, but we've all learned to control our thirst fairly well. None of us relish in taking human lives. It is why we live the way we do."