i. sixteen - the ballad of grover underwood

words : 2058

* * *

after riding a stuffy and cigarette-stenched taxi for what seemed like an hour and then waiting at the bus terminal for what seemed like another five hours, the quartet were grateful when the bus finally showed up and they could begin boarding. as they made a beeline for their seats at the back, another scruffy bearded man followed behind them, reeking of piss and oddly, doritos - an ungodly combination of scents.

percy and grover took their seats while alliah and annabeth took theirs on the other side. percy cringed as the smelly old man passed by, his stench wafting into his face.

but once he'd passed, percy noticed the smell didn't go away. he turned around and to his dismay and horror, their seats turned out to be right in front of the bus' bathroom.

"there is no way this is what sacred smells like." he managed through silenced gags.

"we're soldiers on a mission. it's not a vacation." annabeth said sharply, though she herself felt a little sick from the smell.

"thank you for clearing that up." percy rolled his ehes. "but if this is so important, why didnt chiron spring for plane tickets? this seems a little low priority, doesnt it?"

grover blinked. "sorry, i assumed someone had told you."

"tell me what?"

"it's not just monsters who'll be after your ass," alliah sighed. "you're forbidden, remember? the sky is zeus' domain - if he decides he wants to take a shot at you himself, flying would be a suicide mission."

percy smiled sarcastically. "well isn't that just great."

the four hung tight as the bus began to move, percy straining himself from puking all over his lap.

-

an hour passed before the bus stopped again, this time in front of a gas station.

"stopover," alliah rose from her seat. "annie, let's go get some snacks."

"i'm coming with." percy stood up as well but annabeth crossed her arms.

"no, you're staying here."

"but why?" percy scrunched up his nose in disgust. "it smells terrible back here."

annabeth shook her head. "monsters can't smell you through that, so that's where i want you."

"but, but..." percy looked towards grover for help but he merely shrugged. he scowled, sticking his hand in the air. "i wanna vote. who thinks we should all go get some fresh air and pick out our own snacks?"

annabeth smirked. "there's no voting...chips and sodas okay for you guys?"

"you don't get to decide whether we can or can't vote." percy crossed his arms, pouting like a toddler.

"i'm sorry to hear that." annabeth rolled her eyes but her position stood clear and firm.

percy looked towards alliah, who also shrugged.

"okay, well i wanna vote on whether you get to decide we don't vote."

alliah rose an eyebrow. "what..."

annabeth sighed, annoyed. "grover, can you get your friend to stop..."

her voice trailed off as grover began to clap, slowly. it took a few more claps for alliah to recognize the pace and the beat.

"grover, no..." she facepalmed.

"i really don't wanna be involved," grover bit his lip nervously as his clapping picks up the pace a little. "so i have a better idea..."