Chapter 15

The rose palace was buzzing with energy. The maids were excited that their mistress was pregnant.

Qashanna was laying in her bed. The gods didn't abandon me. I'm glad you came to me, my child.

It hasn't been a day when she thought she needed another child but it happened very quickly.

The Emperor visited her. He was as gentle as ever to her.

"What did the doctors say?" He asked

"They just said I need to rest. I've been having a hard time eating but everything's fine." She said while caressing her still flat stomach

"Where's Mael?"

"He must still be in his room."

He nods. He's still gentle and caring but she can barely sense happiness in his eyes. She held his hand.

"Are you not happy that we're having a second child?"

The Emperor looked at her and smile. "I am. I am just tired. Get some rest. I'll visit you again." He said and then leave

Qashanna clenched her fist. She tried to held back her tears. He's not happy with this new life. But she needed to hold on to this child. This child will save her.

It's okay. It's okay. If you were born I'm sure your father will love you. He loves his children very much. He's just confused for now. She tells her child in her womb.

--

The lily palace where the 2nd concubine Elisha resides was full of tension. Their mistress locked herself in her room the moment she heard of the news.

They all know how much the concubine loves his Majesty that she urged her father to let her marry him.

Inside the room, the Concubine keeps on weeping.

"Just why?! Why does she get pregnant first?!" She said throwing things in her room.

"I also did my best. I also spent nights with him but why does she get to have another child?! She already has his heart! That greedy wench!" She shouted

Naveen was outside. He was in tears while hearing the loud crashing noises inside his mother's room. He didn't know what to do.

He runs outside to go to his Empress Mother's palace.

"I know Empress Mother will know what to do." He said while running

As he was running he tripped and fell down. He always hoped her mother to be happy. He did his best to make her happy but it turns out he alone was not enough. His mother's gaze was always following the Emperor. He knows his mother loves him but not as much as he loves the Emperor.

"Why are you crying, Naveen." Said a voice

He looks at the person lending his hand.

"Brother Mael." He said then cried hard

"You're really a cry baby." A female voice said

"You! Hiciel Yang!" He said

"You have a snot in you." She said and lend her handkerchief.

"Brother. What shall we do? Are we going to be dirscarded?" He asked

For them, it seems like everybody was only focusing on the pregnant Empress Consort. His mother forgot about him and just holed up in his room. The Empress Consort was just in her room not even bothering checking on his other son.

Their father, being conflicted was now on his office and drowning himself at work.

"That's not going to happen, Naveen. I'm sure Empress Mother will not let it be." Mael said

"Yes! Yes! You don't have to worry. Mommy ninang will still be with you."

"But the maids also said that she's also in her room."

"She's just tired. She doesn't really like banquets but she was forced to attend" Hiciel said

"Come on! We shouldn't worry about the adults problem and just play. They will take care of it all. Everything's gonna be fine" Hiciel added

Mael looked at those two who were playing. How he wished that what the little girl's saying is true. He knows that he was at risk. His position was at risk.

He always disobeyed his mother that causes her to be displeased with him. The only reason for her to keep on paying attention to him is because he was a strong candidate. He was the first son of the emperor and also a male heir.

And now that her mother is pregnant, things changes.

"You won't discard me, right Mother?" He murmured

--

After a day and a night's rest and a good bath, Alarice came back to her senses. She needs to bounce back. Now that the Empress Consort is pregnant, the balance of power within the nobles is shaken.

The old nobles supported the Empress Consort and the first prince as an heir. They are the ones who supported Duke Elmea in the past. The moment they withdraw the support on him, they supported the Empress Consort. After all their old fashioned moral views aligned.

For them, nobility's power is absolute thus, blood ties was very important. They definitely don't want a foreigner Princess to seat at the Empress Regnant's throne. Let alone, her child to be the next heir.

They have the advantage because the Empress consort does have a child and she did not but she has the support of the new nobles and lower ranking ones.

New nobles are mostly commoners that achieved their titles through money and great achievements. That is why old nobles despised them. For them, they are commoners having the audacity to yearn for nobles lifestyle that they don't deserve.

Although few, old nobles has strong political prowess. On the other hand, new nobles doesn't have extravagant political prowess but they are many in numbers. Alarice worked very hard in the past 4 years to earn their trust and support.

Their support is what made her position solid despite not having a child. However, things are different now. Now that the Empress Consort has another child, if it turns out to be a prince then the old nobles will have more power and confidence to push either of her sons to the throne.

Her power will be shaken and so was the authority of new nobles. That's why she needs to take action.

This is also a dilemma for Nicholas. The power balance within the nobility will have a great change. He needs to find a way to balance it out by strengthening the power of the Empress Regnant.

There is only one way.

"We need to have a child."