Farewells

Aisha

As Aisha packed the last few items, a mix of anticipation and stress filled her mind. With her iPad snug in her backpack, the final touches were being made for their journey. Yet, amidst the excitement, there was chaos—questions about passports, misplaced shoes, and delegated responsibilities flooded her ears, reminding her of the weight of being the eldest daughter.

After ensuring all essentials were packed, she stole a moment of solace on the balcony, away from the frenzy of her easily flustered mother. Here, she reflected on farewells, viewing them not as endings but as beacons of hope.  

This departure, marked by visits and goodbyes across Sri Lanka, signified a new beginning, a chance to mend fractured family bonds and escape the role of mediator. And, as they journeyed to the airport, Aisha's resolve wavered with doubt. What if her plan failed? What if it only exacerbated their problems? 

Boarding the flight, Aisha's mind drifted between nostalgia for her homeland and anticipation for the new chapter in Qatar. Yet, amidst the excitement, a sense of responsibility lingered—responsibility to reconcile her parents and create a sense of normalcy for her sisters. Arriving in Qatar, exhaustion washed over Aisha, but her determination remained steadfast. Even as family dynamics strained, she held onto the hope that this move would bring the healing they desperately needed. 

Yahya

The sharp beams of sunlight filtered through the curtains, gently warming the room as dawn broke over Melbourne. It was an unexpectedly cozy start to a June day, catching Yahya off guard with its warmth.

Yahya could have risen from bed and prepared for the day, but he chose instead to linger, anticipating Aunt Tiff's inevitable wake-up call. Aware of the thin line he walked with her morning temper, he decided to push his luck one last time before departing.

Aunt Tiff and her family were scheduled to join Yahya in Qatar for their annual family gathering, a tradition they faithfully uphold each year. However, this time would be different. With Yahya having completed high school, the customary return to Melbourne with Aunt Tiff and her family was not to be. Instead, he had chosen to spend a gap-year with his parents in Qatar—a decision that would alter the dynamics of their annual routine.

As Aunt Tiff roused him from his slumber, Yahya feigned reluctance to rise, indulging in a playful exchange with his aunt. Despite his attempt at acting, Aunt Tiff saw through his charade with ease, their familiarity with each other's quirks lending an air of affection to their banter.

Conversation turned to Yahya's impending departure and Aunt Tiff's inability to join him due to work commitments. Though he attempted to sway her with the suggestion of remote work, her dedication to her career remained steadfast, leaving Yahya resigned to their impending separation.

Preparing to depart, Yahya couldn't shake the sense of sadness that accompanied his leave-taking. Despite the anticipation of reuniting with his parents and grandmother in Qatar, the prospect of bidding farewell to Aunt Tiff, Mehdi, Bilal, and Uncle weighed heavily on his heart.

As the morning unfolded, Yahya's concerns were eclipsed by a sudden turn of events. Aunt Tiff's somber demeanor and Uncle's urgent phone calls hinted at unforeseen circumstances, leaving Yahya grappling with a sense of unease.

With each passing moment, Yahya's vacation transformed into a journey fraught with uncertainty, solidifying his resolve to confront the challenges ahead.

-End of Prologue

Disclaimer

 This work is a product of fiction and imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. The views and opinions expressed in this book are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any individual, organization, or entity. Readers are encouraged to interpret the content within the context of entertainment and to exercise their own judgment. The author holds no responsibility for any actions taken by readers based on the information provided in this work.

Copyright

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, please contact the author