Think again

>>Seraphina

My soul was ready to leave my body when I saw that person, blended in with the shadows of the room. She remained in her place, unmoving, her gaze was so fierce it made me nervous. But somehow I was able to point my finger towards them and let out a meek voice

"A-and, who's that?" I couldn't take my eyes off of her while she quietly stood there

"A bodyguard," Azef replied,

"A bodyguard?" I was confused, "Why? For what?" Something tingled in my senses.

"Don't mind her, she's here because I asked her." He seemed to want to leave but his words made me think.

Something was odd. He didn't say anything when I took her to the general ward. He could have moved Eris to a VIP room right then. He must have known the cause when he talked to the doctor then. But he didn't do anything.

"I'll come back to visit later," He began to walk away

Then out of nowhere I was home, his whole vibe changed, there's someone in his basement that he most likely tortured and Eris has a bodyguard?

Azef crossed me to get to the door but I grabbed his wrist, making him stop in his path.

"Something happened," He looked at me and I looked into his eyes, "Didn't it?" I may not be an extremely smart person but I can tell something is off.

"You don't need to worry about it," He shook his head at me.

I didn't let him go, "This involves my sister," I said, "How can I not worry about it?"

"Stuff like this happens," He grabbed my hands and pushed it off of him, "It doesn't involve your sister, I'm just doing this to make sure nothing happens." He didn't meet my gaze when he said that and that was suspicious to me.

I grabbed his hand again, "..." I looked into his eyes, "I feel like you're lying to me."

He looked away, "Go to sleep,"

"No," I refused to let him go, "Something happened, didn't it?" I put my other hand on his wrist as well, "Tell me what's wrong." I kept my eyes on him, "Please, if it involves Eris being in danger, shouldn't you tell me?"

...

There was silence for a few seconds, then he let out a sigh and looked at me, "Later," He nodded, "I'll tell you about it later."

"Later when?"

"I need to look into some things urgently." He pushed my hands off of him, "When I'm done, I'll come meet you and tell you, okay?"

I still wasn't convinced. What if he was just saying this all to calm me down. What if he never tells me about it and we are actually in danger? Why do I feel like something major happened with Eris and that's why she's here in this private room with a private guard.

My instincts are telling me we might still be in danger. And among all this, where is he going?

To deal with the person in the basement? He did leave it and come out for me, because I was rattling the doorknob. He came out because he didn't want me in there, right?

Why?

What did he do in there?

"Did you kill someone," I asked, "In the basement?" I didn't mean to be this blunt, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted some sort of answer. Some sort of explanation.

We looked into each other's eyes.

"I did," He replied, his eyes clear of any lies.

I stepped back, "Okay..." My skin stood up at how easily he admitted that, "I'll wait,"