Chapter 126: Along the Redwater

Toren Daen

I shifted uncomfortably atop the swiftsure horse as it ran across the road, the clip-clop of hooves on stone providing a bit of centering noise. These mana beasts were especially mobile: they conjured eddies of wind along their green-tinged hooves to propel them at absurd speeds when they wished. Today, however, we were going at a slower pace than that.

The paved road Sevren, Mawar, and I were following lead in a southeastward tilt, kissing the banks of the Redwater as it gradually snaked toward the base of the Basilisk Fang Mountains.

The sound of rushing water was a constant in my ears, accompanied by the sounds of untamed wilderness. Every now and then I felt the presence of a mana beast nearing our group willing to test its luck.

A meager flare of my killing intent usually sent those on their way.

We'd passed through a few outer towns and minor cities that kissed the borders of Aensgar. Yet the further along the Redwater we traveled, the less and less I saw signs of civilization.

As we rounded a bend on an upward slope, Sevren used the chance to sidle closer to me. He was obviously far more practiced in riding. He shifted and moved naturally in turn with his mount. Meanwhile, this was the first time I'd ever ridden a mana beast. It was painfully obvious I was unaccustomed to this mode of transport.

"You failed to mention to me," Sevren said with a light hiss, "That the person you beat in Nirmala was the Retainer of Etril. Care to explain that?"

I made sure to blanket Sevren's voice with a sound spell, though Mawar certainly sensed my use of magic. She glanced toward us uncomfortably but looked away quickly when she met my eyes. "I didn't think it was really relevant," I responded. The damn mana-empowered horse took a step to the side, and I tugged on the reigns to maneuver the beast back on course. Finicky creature. "I told you my source was trustworthy."

"You did not tell me that you beat a retainer in their center of power, Toren," Sevren said, covertly glancing toward the nervous Mawar. "That's basically relevant to everything. She could get her Scythe involved in this. And we both don't want that."

I sighed. Mawar had been the one to requisition these horses to spare us a week or so of travel. Unfortunately, last night Sevren and I hadn't managed to talk much about our new traveling companion. "That's part of why I let her come along," I said. "If I denied her, there was a significant chance she would pull higher powers into this. And you can't deny how useful having a retainer owe you a favor could be."

Aurora chirped appreciatively from her steampunk sparrow on my shoulder.

"Not you, too," Sevren groaned, glaring at the clockwork construct. He shook his head. "This is your mission, Toren. I just want to make sure you've considered every variable."

I opened my mouth to respond but turned to the side as I sensed something approaching. An avian mana beast fluttered down from above the trees, striations of red running through its dark feathers. Its eyes were beaded with malice, mana churning underneath its surface.

I pulled my swiftsure horse to a halt, mana thrumming along my palms as I prepared to snipe the creature from the sky. I raised my hand, closing one eye as I aimed at the clearly hostile beast.

"Wait!" a voice called out from the side. "Don't shoot!"

I looked to the side, surprised to hear Mawar's voice. She'd been silent for most of this trip, but why would she speak up now? Did she want the kill herself?

The Retainer of Etril raised her hand, some sort of spellform flaring on her back. The mana beast above immediately oriented on her, pausing midair as it flapped its wings. From how the raven-esque creature tilted its head, I recognized it as curiosity.