Chapter Five

A nun? Cordelia appreciated Mother's newfound sense of humor, but this joke went too far. Was she trying to give Cordelia a heart attack? Threatening her with a new sewing project would have sufficed. Threading a needle with one hand was torturous enough.

"Are you serious about sending her to a convent?" Ophelia asked.

Cordelia tilted her head. She was about to tease Ophelia about missing her, but her sister's expression made her pause. Ophelia had grown pale, the color draining from her cheeks.

"Why?" Mother questioned. "Do you object to Cordelia answering the Lord's call?"

Ophelia's hands trembled, but her voice remained steady. "Of course not, if this is what she truly wants."

"Why wouldn't she want this?" Mother asked, reaching for the wine. "Cordelia should feel grateful we organized such a fortunate arrangement. Your father used her dowry to make a generous donation to the Rosefield Priory. It's a beautiful abbey with architecture dating back to 1653. Plus, it's located in a remote part of the English countryside. I'm sure she'll feel at home."

Cordelia blinked. Sure, she'd feel right at home among the spiders and the snakes. The convent was over 150 years old—who knew what kinds of critters lurked within its halls? Besides, Cordelia was already home. What would happen to Benny and Grandfather if she left?

Father leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "I've made all the necessary travel arrangements. Her carriage is set to leave this Thursday. She's allowed to bring one trunk of personal belongings."

"I wouldn't waste too much space on dresses," Mother advised. "The abbess will provide you with new clothes upon your arrival. Besides, everything you bring will belong to the church after your vows. It might be better if you pack light. I'm sure Ophelia can use whatever jewelry you don't bring."

Cordelia dragged a hand across her face. Her parents couldn't be serious. Hadn't she lived through enough? The accident had already claimed her arm—surely it wouldn't steal her future with her family, too.

Benny pushed back his chair. "Lia is my sister. She saved my life! You can't do this."

Mother raised an eyebrow. "Don't be selfish, Benvolio. This way, Cordelia can be a Sister to all. You wouldn't hold her back from an opportunity to carry out the Lord's work, would you?"

Benny said something about Cordelia needing to be happy, but his words faded into a dull roar. Cordelia stared at her plate, drawing imaginary lines between the crumbs. Becoming a nun was a noble endeavor, but it wasn't her calling. She'd rather help children with disabilities or teach people how to paint.

"Cordelia," Father said. He pushed aside the oyster platter, addressing her for the first time. "You haven't said a word since the announcement. I thought you would be more excited about this opportunity."

Cordelia shrugged. It was hard to form an answer when the walls were swaying around her. She grabbed her water, pressing the cool glass against her forehead. Black spots invaded the corners of her vision, blotting out her father's face. Mother muttered something about smelling salts, and the world faded to black.

 Mother muttered something about smelling salts, and the world faded to black