TAKING A STAND

Music blared and fireworks went off as teenagers from Midtown High School continued to make their way into the palatial neoclassical luxury style home belonging to the Schreffler family. The beautiful limestone walkway led a path to the main entrance, with elaborately decorated flower beds on either side of the promenade. Nearly a hundred members of the Class of 1992 had been invited to Bonnie Schrefflers seventeenth birthday party. A party that also served as a de facto end to their junior year of high school. The weather couldn't have been more cooperative. Balmy late spring temperatures made a dip in the Schrefflers inground swimming pool quite enjoyable for many of the teens in attendance. One of those teens, however, wondered why she came to the party of her hated rival.

"Remind me again what we're doing here," Mary Jane Watson said to Glory Grant.

"She invited the entire junior class," Glory replied as the pair made their way down the pathway, flanked by Liz Allan and Betty Brant. "Who cares if it's Bonnie's party? We've all been under alot of stress lately and we need to blow off some steam. Come on. Let's just enjoy the party."

"Maybe we'll get lucky and Mary Jane's madman stalker will blow up Bonnie's home just like he did to Harry's house the other day." Betty joked. "It could happen."

"I'm so jealous," Liz remarked. "Daddy didn't do anything like this for my birthday party."

"Nobody's father does," Mary Jane mentioned. "Seriously, who has fireworks go off at their birthday party? This is ridiculous. Oh, well. Maybe you're right, Glory. I do need a night to just chill."

"Tell me about it," Betty exclaimed. "We almost died twice this week."

"How are you doing?" Mary Jane whispered in her friend's ear. "Glory told me that you finally broke up with Flash. I hope that it wasn't too upsetting."

"Nope," she replied. "I'm free. I'm an independent woman of the nineties."

"That's good to hear," Mary Jane sighed. "Men. Who can understand them? Anyone who says that they fully understand men is a liar. Men are un-understandable."

Mary Jane and her friends shared a laugh upon entering the Schreffler home as the popular Guns N' Roses song, You Could Be Mine, loudly played over the stereo system. Soon, another car pulled up and joined the caravan of parked automobiles on the road leading up to the expansive and beautiful home. Flash Thompson's black Dodge Charger was fresh from the car wash. It had been covered in ash and soot just two days earlier after nearly being destroyed by the explosion that rocked the Osborn estate. The popular athlete exited the car along with Peter Parker and Randy Robertson.

"I'm so glad the school year is over," Randy exclaimed. "What a relief."

"Tell me about it," Flash agreed. "Now, if Spider-Man would just capture Harry's deranged father then we could finally go home. I'm sick of sleeping at Ursula's house."

"At least we haven't run into her father yet," Randy mentioned. "People say he's really weird."

"I don't think he's weird," Peter corrected his friend. "He's from another country. Latvia, I think."

"Pete, look." Flash said, pointing over a group of girls that included Angelica Jones, Ariel Wonder and Claire Panattiere. "Feast your eyes over there. Look at their legs."

"Take it easy, dude." Randy advised his best friend.

"Well, my boys." Flash stated while smiling from ear to ear. "It's party time!"