Covert Expedition - Chapter 84

Zach and Ruby'ck strolled towards their home, they noticed the rest of the group heading in the same direction.

"They've found him already?" Ruby'ck asked Zach, their hands intertwined as they walked.

"It seems so, but Leeani still has the potion. Let's catch up with them and find out," Zach suggested.

"Sure thing," Ruby'ck agreed, her voice calm and steady.

Quickening their pace, Zach and Ruby'ck approached the group.

"Hey, Ruby!" Leeani called out, spotting them from afar.

"Hi, Leeani!" Ruby'ck greeted with a warm smile, embracing her friend as they met.

Observing the affection between the two, Andhur remarked, "They're like sisters, aren't they?"

"Yeah, they've got that special bond," Jiighual added with a nod.

"And what about me? Don't I get hugs too?" Qarek exclaimed, drawing attention to himself.

With a chuckle, Andhur, saying, "Don't worry, Qarek, we'll save you a big bear hug for later!"

Turning their attention to Zach, the group greeted him enthusiastically.

"Hey, Captain!" Jiighual greeted, turning his attention to Zach.

"Welcome back, Captain," Andhur chimed in.

"You're already back, Captain? That was quick! Welcome back!" Qarek exclaimed enthusiastically.

"Welcome back, captain," Leeani greeted warmly, stepping back from their embrace alongside Ruby'ck.

Zach glanced at the potion in Leeani's hand, his brow furrowing with concern. "Why are you still holding that potion, Leeani? Did you guys not find Nert around the village?"

"No, captain. We searched everywhere, including Seraphina's hut where Nert usually spends his evenings. But he wasn't there, and neither was Seraphina," Leeani explained with a sigh.

"Hmm, that's peculiar," Zach mused, deep in thought.

"Indeed, captain. We're unsure of his whereabouts. So, we decided to return home and wait until tomorrow to give him the potion, or perhaps tonight if he returns while we're still awake," Andhur added, his voice calm and steady.

"Maybe he's just out exploring the village," Qarek chimed in.

"And when he returns, he'll surprise us with heaps of food to quell our hunger? Well, then, count me in!" Jiighual exclaimed with a grin, lightening the mood with his playful banter.

Leeani chuckled softly. "More likely, he's just gotten himself lost again. Remember the time he wandered into the chicken coop thinking it was the library?"

"And let's not forget the time he mistook a tree stump for Seraphina and tried to strike up a conversation with it," Ruby'ck added with a giggle.

"He's definitely got a knack for finding trouble," Andhur agreed, an amusement in his voice. "But you know what they say, where there's Nert, there's never a dull moment."

Qarek slapped his knee with a hearty laugh. "That's for sure! Who needs a circus when you've got Nert around to entertain us?"

Jiighual nodded, "Absolutely! And if he does come back with food, I say we forgive him for his disappearing act. After all, a full belly makes everything better!"

Amidst the laughter of the Shadowed Symphony, the group began their journey home, their camaraderie and jests temporarily overshadowing any concerns. However, Zach's thoughts strayed, lost in a silent contemplation only he could perceive.

"I never anticipated Kazaks and Yzavynne to be delayed. Could they have encountered bandits upon reaching the shore? But they're skilled enough to fend for themselves, being among the hunters and fishermen. What's causing the delay in bringing back the livestock from Aeolantis? And where could Nert be? The same goes for Seraphina, the village shaman. Where could they possibly be? Wait, don't tell me..." Zach muttered to himself, his thoughts drifting into a labyrinth of uncertainties.

Before he could unravel the mystery swirling in his mind, a voice broke through his musings.

"I see you've returned," Haerak greeted them as they approached their home.

As the Shadowed Symphony turned around, they noticed Haerak standing alone.

"Chief!" Qarek exclaimed with a loud voice.

"Good evening, Chief," Andhur greeted respectfully.

"Chief, it's nice to see you," Leeani chimed in with a smile.

"Hey there, Chief," Jiighual said cheerfully.

"Evening, Chief Haerak," Ruby'ck added, nodding politely.

"Welcome back, Shadowed Symphony. Zach, I need to have a word with you briefly," Haerak said with a warm smile, addressing the group.

Zach's gaze sharpened as he regarded Haerak, a hint of suspicion flickering in his eyes.

"Zach?" Ruby'ck interjected, noticing the intensity in Zach's stare.

After a moment of silence, Zach relented.

"Sure, let's talk," he said, easing the intensity of his gaze as he addressed Haerak.

He added, "Everyone, head back to our home. Rest for tonight. Leeani, ensure the potion remains intact and safe. Handle it with care."

"Of course, captain," Leeani replied dutifully.

Ruby'ck, Qarek, Leeani, Andhur, and Jiighual made their way into the house, leaving only Zach and Haerak standing alone at the front.

"Shall we find somewhere more secluded to talk?" Haerak suggested, his tone carrying a hint of secrecy. "Somewhere we can converse without any prying ears."

Zach paused, sensing an air of suspicion in Haerak's words.

"Sure thing, chief," Zach agreed cautiously.

They strolled towards the secluded spot near the barn, ensuring no prying eyes lingered nearby. Despite the serene atmosphere, Zach couldn't shake the unsettling feeling gnawing at him.

"So, what's been weighing on your mind?" Zach probed, his curiosity stirred.

"Nert and Seraphina..." Haerak began, but Zach interjected.

"They're missing. My crew scoured the entire village, even Seraphina's hut. But they were nowhere to be found," Zach informed him.

"Oh," Haerak murmured, a hint of unease creeping into his voice.

"What about Kazak, Yzavynne, Lyra, and the others? Why haven't they returned?" Zach pressed on, his concern growing.

"Easy there, Zach. I'll shed some light on the matter," Haerak assured him.

Zach took a deep breath, allowing Haerak to take the lead in the conversation.

"You see, I sent Seraphina to gather herbs on the Aeolantis, and Nert decided to join her. As for Kazak and Yzavynne, I'm not sure what's causing the delay," Haerak explained.

Zach paused, studying Haerak's expression intently.

"Is there something on my face?" Haerak asked, puzzled by Zach's scrutiny.

"Nothing," Zach replied, though his suspicions lingered.

And in that fleeting moment, amidst the silence, Zach whispered words that echoed with the weight of his concerns, "Sometimes, the silence speaks louder than words ever could."