[3] Long Lost Family

Arabella Ashford

"Do you know why you have been called here, Arabella?" The police officer asked, his face devoid of any emotions which only made me more nervous. The female officer who was sitting beside him gave me a small smile as I tried my best to smile back at her.

It has been about three hours since I have been in the police station. One of the officers took me in the investigation room to further inquire about my parents. Apparently, they found drugs in their car which led them to suspect that maybe the accident occurred because they were under the influence.

However, when they asked me if my parents ever took drugs infront of me or had a drinking habit, I instantly denied. I once told a social worker that my parents would hit me whenever they were drunk, so when she asked my parents about it, they denied it and said I was throwing a tantrum because of not getting what I wanted.

The social worker surprisingly believed them and was highly disappointed in me for 'lying'. I cried and begged her to believe me but she didn't and left. My parents then punished me by drowning me in my bathtub. I still get goosebumps whenever I think of that day.

So, yeah, I told the officers that my parents never drank or took drugs. They believed, like always. I was glad they did. I didn't want anyone to find out about the abuse. I didn't want them to pity me.

I shook my head in response as the female officer gave me a smile. "Well, darling, the DNA reports came in and we have some news for you."

Oh, right, the DNA reports. I almost forgot they took a DNA test from me an hour ago to see if I had any relatives left to take me in. I knew I didn't have one though. Mom and dad didn't have any siblings and my grandparents died even before I was born so, I am pretty sure I will be going to an orphanage.

As much as it hurt, I knew I will be okay. Just two more years and I will be 18, a legal adult. I will live on my own and no one can hurt me then. I will hopefully find some happiness.

Eventhough I knew what the test said, I still asked her quietly, "What does it say?"

"You have 5 elder brothers in Italy who are willing you take you in. I am so happy for you, Arabella." Ms. Richardson, the police officer announced with a smile, making my heart sink to my stomach.

What in the world of pancakes?

My eyes widened in disbelief as a thousands of thoughts raced through my mind. My heart felt like it stopped beating for a second as I muster up a small, "What?"

"Yes, darling. Your eldest brother is currently on his way to Los Angeles to pick you up. Do you want to rest for a bit till he reaches?"