001, to stay forever

chapter one, to stay forever
[ november, 1981 ]

          Funerals are depressing in a way it always has been. Black clothes, white flowers atop the black casket with golden lining, mascara-stained tears. Charis Lupin has attended many funerals in her life; she cried endlessly in all. Her emotions are always heightened, simultaneously in tune with the emotions of others too — an ability she inherited from her mother Walburga Black. 

Walburga has always been a scornful woman as far as Charis knew, ever since her eyes peeled open and youthfulness hit the air, there has never been any normalcy in the tone of her mother. Charis believed her mother loved her in her own way — she always wanted a daughter.

Charis wants a daughter too, someday. 

Her ability to discern the feeling of others to a deeper level has mostly been fun during her years at Hogwarts. Chortling students roaming the halls were always ever-so joyous; they heightened her heart to further warmth. 

That same ability has been her doom at the height of the war. To be standing at battlefield, to be consuming the hatred and threatening heartbeats of all those opposing her, to be withstanding the pain and suffering — digging into her bloodied heart over and over again to no end. 

Stupid, stupid wars. She cursed the war in her sleep; sometimes, she would wake up screaming from nightmares, from the pain and memories that acted as a soul within her soul, permanently residing in her mind. 

Those nights, her husband would hold her in her arms, rock her back and forth and whisper everything was going to be okay. He was going to be there for her, that he's there, he will stay, he's there to stay forever. All those murmurs that would allow her to fall back asleep. 

She reminded herself of those words as she stares at the white marble before her, the tombstone with their names and a little message. Her fingers that were interlocked with his tightened. 

James and Lily Potter who evaporated endless warmth and happiness now displayed nothing. Just pure void, and that was worse than feeling utmost pain of a hundreds at battlefield.

JAMES POTTER          LILY POTTER

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death

"It's time to go," said a familiar, warm voice. Charis turned to face Mary Macdonald gently smiling, touching her cheek to wipe away escaped tears, "there is something I need to tell you, Charis."