xviii. In the night

♡˗ˏ✎*ೃ˚ :Chapter eighteen: :;

"He has his father's eyes"

Consumed by a sense of darkness and isolation, Binna clutched a crayon in her trembling hand as she traced lines on the wall beside her. Her eyes were red and swollen, with tear marks evident on her cheeks. She felt a sense of relief that Cheong-ah was not there, as she was determined to shield her beloved sister from experiencing the same pain. Binna saw herself as a protector, willing to endure any hardships on behalf of her younger sibling.

Abruptly, the room was illuminated, and a shadow materialized in the entrance. Binna redirected her focus from the wall to observe the individual who had discovered her. Her sizable, hazel eyes promptly connected with those of Eun-gyeol, who lingered in the doorway, his gaze sweeping across the compact attic adorned with an accumulation of sketches. Tears welled up in Binna's eyes once again upon realizing that Eun-gyeol had genuinely arrived to assist her, her hand clutching a partially completed small azure crayon.

Eun-gyeol was transfixed by his mother's emotional drawing of the full band on the wall, causing a flood of tears in his eyes. This heartbreaking sight instantly touched his heart as he witnessed his mother's vulnerability, yet also her unwavering thoughtfulness towards her friends even in her darkest times. In those poignant moments, Eun-gyeol envisioned a timid young girl huddled in fear in the attic's shadows, with an overwhelming sense of isolation and helplessness in the face of adversity.

"You found me" Binna weakly gestured, unable to find the strength to speak, a slight smile of relief appearing on her lips "The hide and seek is over. After 12 years"

Eun-gyeol's emotions reached a breaking point, prompting him to swiftly make his way to her side. He tenderly enveloped her in his arms as he sobbed uncontrollably, his hands shaking as they clung tightly to Binna's back, who held back her tears with great effort.

"You have a family, too, Mom. You have a true family" Eun-gyeol cried uncontrollably, tears streaming down his face as he tenderly held her shoulders, gazing into her eyes with affection "Let's go. Let's go to them right now" Yet, he had to lower his head, unable to endure the sorrow in his mother's gaze "Let's get out of here immediately" He then embraced her again, nuzzling his face against Binna's neck, who in turn embraced him back, shedding tears