8 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ only time will tell

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

eight

'Everything, in time.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌕 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

Still shaking, Paul remains firm, holding steadfast even while his heart is beating a mile a minute, his body shaking and begging to be spared of the pain, yet he still doesn't break eye contact.

His gaze doesn't waver, and the last thing he sees is the flash of a hand holding a blade in the sun by their side.

"Enough," Reverend Mother Mohaim commands as she moves her hand from his neck, and Paul pants heavily as the pain gradually dissipates over time. The old woman's hand is now on the box, and the young heir lifts up his head, breathing heavily through his nose with his eyes glistening, yet he doesn't cry but fights against the adrenaline.

He slowly removes his hand, and it looks completely fine. Quickly, he stands from his kneeling position and backs up, cradling his hand in the other as he flips it over to assess it.

"Like sifting sand through a screen," the Reverend Mother starts, "we sift people. If you had been unable to control your impulses, like an animal, we could not let you live." Paul only watches her, his expression still holding some of the dissipating pain. "You inherit too much power. As does your wife."

"What, because I'm a Duke's son?"

"Because you are Jessica's son," she calmly interrupts. "You have more than one birthright, boy." She looks over to the door, calling out, "Jessica?"

Quickly, she opens the door, still shaking, looking up to see that her son is completely fine-thank God.

"You've been training him in the Way," Mohaim says as Paul glances down, almost like he's about to cry as his mother moves her hood to hide her hair and the Reverend moves the box away as the Lady moves closer. "Tell me about these dreams."

"I had one tonight."

"What did you see?"

"A girl." He replies. "On Arrakis."

"Have you dreamt of her before?"

Paul pauses for a moment, wetting his lips, before he says, "Many times."

"Do you often dream things that happen just as you dreamed them?" Mohaim asks.

"Not exactly," Paul truthfully says.

The Reverend Mother stands and says, "Goodbye, young human. I hope you live." With that, she walks past both of the Atreides, with Jessica keeping her head down before she follows Mohaim, leaving Paul alone.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

(Y/N) sleeps peacefully in her room, seemingly calm and peaceful, though her mind portrays otherwise. Whispers dance on the edge of her consciousness, amidst the darkness of her dreams.

"Al-Masab..."

Someone whispers to her—no multiple voices do-and for a moment, she sees sand. Her mind flashes in and out of the darkness and light, like they're fighting some kind of battle.

"There is no call we do not answer..." another whispers.

"-Lisan Al-Gaib-"

"-al-Ru'yah-"

"-Al-Masab al-Ru'yah-"

"-She's just a voice-"

"-Paul...-"