1

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Stacey asked me again. "I know you have a lot on your plate already, so I won't be mad if you said no."

But how could I say no, when this would double my paycheck. I was broke and I need all the monetary help I could get, even if that meant I had to take on another student and stay up later to manage college with everything else.

"Stacey, I really appreciate you worrying about me but I got this." I reassured her.

She sighed, going back to typing on her desktop typing something aggressively before turning back to me . "I sent you all the details, you two can talk to figure out timings."

I smiled brightly, engulfing Stacey into a hug, "Thank you so much Stacey, I love you."

She hugged me back, as she scoffed jokingly, "I should be the one thanking you, Cerise, please don't over exert yourself."

I hugged her tighter. Stacey has always been like an older sister to me. Ever since I started tutoring here at UConn, she became more of my friend than a boss. "I won't, now you can stop being such a mom."

After a few more minutes of Stacey warning me not to overdo it, I finally got my new student's number and headed back to class. Apparently, this one was a student athlete as well, but I had to look at the email Stacey sent me for her details. To be honest, I wasn't the most fond of student athletes, mostly because they only usually sign up for tutoring because they were forced to. Which makes for not so great company when you're stuck with them for two hours.

The late summer sun hit me as soon as I stepped outside. You would think Connecticut would be a little cooler in October but no it was still boiling hot and my poor choice of wearing a wool sweater really didn't help.

"To your left!"

I looked back to see who yelled that, but before I could process, a tall frame pushed me to the side forcing me to fall right on my back. The said tall frame was a blonde girl who was now straddling me.

"You okay?" She asked. "God, these skateboarders gotta watch where they're going."

"Yeah, thanks." I managed to mutter out. I tried to sit up before I felt pain radiating through my skull. I cupped my head tightly.

The blonde girl moved closer to my face, her eyebrows furrowed with concern.

"You sure you good?" She asked again. "I could take you to the campus health center. It could get messy if you have a concussion."

I held my head tighter, the pain only getting worse but before I could answer her, I felt something warm trickle down my nose. Instinctively, I reached my hand down to wipe it. But as soon as my eyes fell on the red liquid, I glanced over to the blonde girl for a millisecond before all went black.