Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Jig's Up

CIERRE

"Alright, Mrs. New Booty!" Yeli hypes me up.

My homegirls just got to New York City an hour ago, and we're already acting a fool. Little does Amel know, our squad is stealthily infiltrating the city. Von and Zain will touch down tomorrow morning, gearing up for the birthday bash of a lifetime. I've been an undercover agent, showering Amel with affectionate gifts all week to celebrate her and to keep her clueless. Yeli's mastermind has everything from the guest list to the rental of a stylish noir lounge covered. As for the afterparty? That's all on me.

After we pop champagne with Amel's closest friends, we'll retreat to the artsy Manhattan penthouse we've been renting for a nightcap. I've got a personal surprise planned for when we get back—slipping out of my "uncomfortable dress" and freshening up, only to reappear in a lingerie garter set that might make Amel's eyeballs pop from their sockets and roll to my feet.

As I skip back into the bathroom, Yeli shouts, "Girl, you gotta put me on! Your ass is moving like gelatin. What's your workout routine?"

"Doing squats on Meli's strap," Keke quips, followed by her signature cackle.

"I bounce on Von's dick with no hands!" Yeli exclaims. "When will the Bootyliciousness goddess bless me?! I've been a humble servant!"

"Honey, you must not be doing it right," Keke retorts, her tone rising in pitch. As I partially close the bedroom door, her voice fades, but it's still animated enough for me to hear every word. "You gotta ride like you're an equestrian. You buck to the top, then collide back down to the balls, like pow, pow, pow."

"Not pow, pow, pow!" I comment through laughter. Every time work pulls me away for months, I'm amazed at how I managed to survive without these silly women.

As I change into my around-the-house clothes, Keke's instructions become more labored as she teaches Yeli how to ride like a pro freak. "If his mouth ... ain't wide open, and he doesn't look ... dazed or slightly afraid, like 'Is this bitch okay?!' Then you're not ... doing it ... right. Am I lying, Cici?!"

"Girl, I don't know!" I call back, laughter lacing my voice. "Amel tries to fuck back and throw off my rhythm half the time."

"Am I the only true dominant bitch in here?! I tell my nigga to—oops."

Her nigga?!

I hastily slip into my sweatpants and rush out of the bathroom. Yeli is sitting on the edge of the bed, her delicate hand covering her mouth. She's trying hard to hold back her laughter. Keke stands next to her, with her tongue poking into her cheek and a fist pressed against her palm. As Keke studies the floor, she desperately searches for a lie hidden within the wooden planks. But it's too late to try and deceive me. The laughter that Yeli has been suppressing is now manifesting as nervous giggles.

These hoes are hiding something from me.

"I know I didn't hear what I just heard," I say, sweeping my hair into a high ponytail. "Keke, since when are you letting folks tie you down?!"

"Chile, I—I don't know how it happened." Keke slams her hands against her curvy hips and offers a cute shrug. "I mean, what can I say? A bitch got caught up! Cuffed! Arrested by love!"

"With who?!" I fan my hands to heighten the urgency.

"So, what happened was..." Keke starts. "Bada boomed, then bada binged, and then something whammed. Next thing I know ... I'm in a committed relationship with ..."

"Bitch, it's Zainnnnn!" Yeli interrupts with glee.

"Zain!? Our Zain?!"

"Bitch, our Zain," Yeli confirms with a messy smile spreading across her face. "They hooked up one night after we were all hanging out and started acting all suspicious. Von and I pieced it together faster than they could concoct a lie."