17 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ paralleled visions

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌔 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

seventeen

'Souls don't meet by accident.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌔 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

We almost died, Paul thinks to himself.

That is the only thing that has been going through his head, besides the understanding that he was nearly eaten by a sandworm.

"Hey!" His father calls as he exits the ornithopter, stopping him and (Y/N) as they try to walk past. "You cannot take such risks," he sternly says, and if his son wasn't feeling guilty then, he is now.

"Yes, sir." He immediately replies without hesitation, knowing it's better than to argue and he taps Paul on the chest as if to say, 'Look me in the eye', but he can't.

Nor can his wife.

"I-I'm sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

"Go." He says with a quick pat on the back. "Paul." Both of them turn their heads and Leto glances between them, pointing a finger at his son. "Don't let her out of your sight."

With that, he turns away, and Paul doesn't even look his wife in the eye, squeezing her hand as she takes his in her own, trying to comfort him.

I almost lost her...

"Dr. Kynes," Leto says as Gurney turns around and walks away, having witnessed the argument, but the woman stands as stiff as a board. "You saw it. With your own eyes, it's plain to see. Everything they've left us is in shambles. We've been set up to fail."

"That carryall was just old," she replies. "The desert isn't kind to equipment."

She does have a point.

The Duke's tone becomes darker as a result. "You know what will happen if I don't get spice production back on track?"

Kynes scoffs softly. "I'm not here to take your part. Arrakis has seen men like you come and go." She pauses for a moment before her tone changes to something more firm and protective. "Take good care of your family."

Leto's head tilts upward as he watches her carefully.

"The desert's not kind to humans either."

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Inside the Residency, Dr. Yueh finishes checking (Y/N)'s vitals through the chakras on the back of her neck as she remains still, bent forward to allow him to work while Paul remains at her side. Jessica looks on in concern from her place.

The doctor pauses, almost sensing something within the girl as his fingers stop before resuming, and Paul notices her hand twitch at the sudden touch on her neck, noticing it's stiff.

"Spice is a psychoactive chemical," Dr. Yueh explains as Paul tries to comfort his wife, but her hand is subtly shaking, something he's come to notice since she sat down. "You seem to be sensitive." He gently says, removing his hands before he adds, "You'll be fine."

Jessica's gaze flits away from her daughter-in-law. "Thank you, Dr. Yueh."

Said man turns and leaves, Jessica kneeling in front of her son and his wife, hands on her son's calves to comfort him.