18 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ time is of the essence

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌓 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

eighteen

'You never realize how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌓 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

Salusa Secundus. 

The planet of the Imperial Army.

Cold, desolate, and dark.

Some might even say it looks like Geidi Prime.

The planet is harsh, with its stony ground raked by strong winds. This is a massive military base. Scores of gunships and troop carriers are grounded here. Upon a pedestal, a cadaverous priest throat-sings a litany in Sardaukar, his voice resonating within all those who are below him—the sounds menacing and strange.

Ominous.

There have to be hundreds of thousands of men on the ground in armor, all of them on one knee on the tarmac. 

They are Sardaukar, the Emperor's elite soldiers.

Where the Atreides troops have an air of gallantry about them, these are savages: eyes full of aggression and bloodlust, empty of compassion. They were bred for murder.

Vicars use paint to daub on their foreheads, an odd way to symbolize the troops.

Rain pours down on the planet and it seeps into the steps, but once it is gathered by one of them, it's clear to see that the liquid wasn't water. Men—prisoners—are lying down, tortured, and bleeding, cut by the throat, which leads to their deaths.

And the lines marked on the soldiers... came from their blood.

If that doesn't speak Harkonnen brutality, then those who can see are blind.

Piter walks amongst them, inspecting the area and the people as he passes some soldiers.

"Why does the Baron need us?" One of them, Bashar, asks in Sardaukar as the two walk. "Harkonnens outnumber the Atreides."

"Atreides legions are the finest in the Imperium." Piter replies in English. "Trained by Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho."

Bashar spins on him with a snarl, his voice distorted and inhumane. "We are Saudukar. The Emperor's blades. Those who stand against us fall."

"Just so," Piter simply says. "Three battalions. As agreed."

The priest's voice seems to deepen, and all the soldiers stand in sync with a grunt, facing forward with weapons at their sides.

"The Emperor commands it. It is done."

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Jessica walks down the halls of the Residency, nervous.

She softly cries, desperately trying to control her emotions, but the realization hits her like a continuous tidal wave.

Her son is the One... but his wife... how could this even be possible? No prophecy spoke of two Lisan al-Gaib, let alone a second Kwisatz Haderach.

The fearful woman manages to control herself, opening the door to the room of her lover who has his back turned to her. She carefully approaches, finding the courage to speak.

"There's something you need to know about Paul and (Y/N)."

"No," Leto says, slipping into his suit jacket. "Don't think I want to know. Ever since they got married and you brought him before your Reverend Mother, he hasn't been the same. He's distracted, and not by the love for his wife—I can see it." 

Jessica looks down, opening her mouth to say something but she quickly closes it, meeting his gaze as he turns to her. 

"Jessica, you gave me a son. And from the moment he was born, I never questioned you. I trusted you completely. Even when you walked in shadows."

She straightens, slightly tense.

"Now I'm asking you this one thing." He strides to her, his gaze soft but protective. "If anything happens... will you protect our son?"

"With my life--"

"I'm not asking his mother. I'm asking the Bene Gesserit." Leto interrupts, demanding an answer from the woman he took as a concubine instead of a wife.

Jessica is silent, her gaze flitting from side to side before she looks down.

"Will you protect Paul?" He asks again. "Will you protect his wife?"

Jessica steps forward, her hands on his chest. 

A mere distraction.

The Bene Gesserit would rather have them both dead than protect them at all.

"Why are you having these thoughts?" she asks, her tone soft but slightly firm.

The Duke looks down, shaking his head but her gaze doesn't waver.

"Leto, this is not you."

After a moment, he looks up and says, "I thought we had more time."