Chapter Five - Tabatha

The blackness wanes, sounds once faint - grow louder, and reality slowly solidifies into clarity as Tabatha wakes up in a hospital room. The constant murmur of machines and toll of intermittent beeps knell in the stale clinical atmosphere. A pungent aroma of disinfectant permeates from busy corridors. Tabatha, groggy, shifts about in her hospital bed and opens her eyes to take in new, unfamiliar surroundings.

At first all she can see is the vague, bleary outline of her bed, the intrusive cold lighting of the room. As she focuses, her eyes catch sight of some strange audience. Stuffed animals and teddy-bears sit bunched on various surfaces and at the end of the bed, all facing Tabatha, as if to watch her while she rests. Confused and a little disturbed, Tabatha recoils against her headrest and pulls her legs up beneath her. She investigates further. Curious. There are vibrant turtles, dainty giraffes, posing flamingos and fierce lions all perched side by side, but one type of stuffed animal dominates the scene, tigers of various sizes and shades of orange scattered in streaks about the room. There must be hundreds of them. Tabatha wipes her eyes and squints, a brief incoherent interlude before recalling the events leading up to her blackout. A flood of memories and emotion pour in, bombarding her and the girl is visibly shaken.

"Mr Gear, your daughter is awake. Mr Gear?" A nurse stands at the door calling softly to the far corner. There, Tabatha's father slouches semi-comatose in a chair, his reading glasses fallen to one side and a book sliding down his lap toward the floor. The man stirs and his book topples to the ground as he locks eyes with his daughter. He jumps to his feet and quickly rushes to her side, sitting lightly at the edge of the mattress. "Hello Tabby-cat. How're are you feeling?" He takes Tabatha's hand and brushes her fringe aside. The nurse leaves quietly. "Father. What's going on? How long have I been asleep?"

"You rested just for the night my sweet dear. The nurses administered some fluids to help clear the tranquiliser from your system. Regrettably, the city zoo experienced a security breach yesterday, and you got embroiled in that lamentable ordeal. Do you recall?" Tabatha hesitates for a moment and nods. She remembers all too well in fact. Her mouth quivers. "It was awful. So many people were hurt. I thought I was going to be, trampled, or mauled. I'm surprised I came out of it relatively unscathed." Tabatha tries to steady herself, battling dizziness. The tranquiliser has left her weak, sluggish, and light-headed and her stomach protests to her consciousness with a wave of nauseating cramps.

"I know, I know. All is well again now darling, you're safe. It was very troubling news. Michael has told me everything, about that loutish bunch of delinquents and your prized necklace. One of your more hectic days, wouldn't you say?" Michael. Tabatha recalls the boy slumped in spattered blood on the pavement. "Is he okay? Where is he?" "He's doing very well. At home with his family. He was at the hospital last night and the doctors examined his nose. It sustained a fracture, I believe. He waited here with me for some time before departing home when it got late. He's a decent chap Tabatha. A good fellow. Take care of each other, won't you?" Tabatha's lips curl into a weak smile.

Tabatha's father rummages in his pocket and gently pulls out an old friend. The shimmering trinket she so desperately tried to rescue. All that chaos over a small piece of jewellery. She takes it in her hand and rolls it around her palm, inspecting it. The little chameleon sits as serene as ever, inanimate to all the fuss, unphased by the damage to its tail. Tabatha runs her fingers over the new stump amused.

"I have a good friend, a jeweller. She shall organise repairs for your little chameleon. Don't fret, we will sort it all out." "No!" Tabatha interrupts him. He looks at her puzzled. "I mean, no thank you. It's quite okay. I don't wish him to be fixed. He's fine as it is. Tail or no tail." Tabatha uncoils the chain and gingerly fixes the necklace back around her neck. It's a comforting task. "Hmm. Alright then. If you decide otherwise simply say so and we shall get it repaired at once."