✶Prologue: Not So Human

My name is Svetlana Evans and my life is not exactly what you would label as ordinary. You see, my twin brother Sebastian and I are not your normal teenagers. Although we are seventeen and attend school with others our age, there is one huge difference between us and them.

We are Protectors; the last two of our kind. We both have powers, yet, we don't exactly know how to control all of them fully.

I can absorb the emotions, feelings, and energies of the people around me. Most of the time, it gives me headaches when I'm around too many people at once. Absorbing emotions helps me to understand and read people better, allowing me to see beyond the face they show the outside world. And let's just say that most of the high school population are a bunch of horny-pervs.

My power—the hum as my brother and I like to call it—is strongest when my emotions are heightened, which results in my purple eyes glowing in a pale shade of grey. And since that is very noticeable to the people around us, I have to focus on staying in control at all times—not always an easy task.

I can also catch things on fire with my hands, which helps with a lot of different mundane things in life. Just a few examples: warming up my coffee, self-defense, and drying my hair when I'm in a rush. Lastly, I have telekinesis, but I still can't control it as well as I wish I could. If it's light-weight, I can move it without an issue. Anything else...nada.

Both Sebastian and I heal quickly, the rate of the process depends on the injury. Superhuman strength; it comes in handy basically every day for us. We can convince people to do anything we want, but it's not exactly fail proof; meaning, we aren't exactly sure how to do it properly. We can both speak telepathically to each other as long as we are relatively close to each other. Fast reflexes, also used more often than not. And we are very durable, which is fantastic with how often we spar with one another; because when we fight, we fight hard.

Sebastian can run faster than an average person, like, think Quicksilver. He can heal others from the brink of death, not that he's actually tried it on a person. However, he did save a dog that got ran over a few years ago. When his emotions are heightened and his powers are the strongest, blue sparks come from his fingertips. And lastly, he can control earth and plant life, causing it to bend to his will.

We used to live in Forks; grew up there most of our lives. A little over three years ago, we moved to sunny Arizona. Our adoptive parents are always traveling for work, and it's been that way since we turned ten. So, after some consideration, we packed up and moved in with our cousin, Bella Swan. We may not share blood, but we are family in ever other way that counts.

Bella and I have a strong friendship, basically sisters. Any time she is in the slightest of danger, I always know and I'm always there to protect her. Especially since finding out that I am specifically Bella's Protector. And it's Sebastian's job to protect me, as he loves to remind me every chance he gets.

Nan, the woman who has taken care of me and Sebastian most of our lives as our nanny, followed us to Arizona. She's the one who told us that we are the last two Protectors that exist. She knew our real parents, who gave us up to keep us safe before they were killed. And after years of asking, she still won't go into detail. All we know is that Nan and Ian—our mentor slash guardian—took care of us until we were adopted at age five. Then a few years after that, Nan was hired as our nanny when our 'parents' grew tired of the family life.

Since finding out the truth of our not so human status and having our powers present themselves, Bash and I have been practicing with our gifts and learning to fight in many different styles. Every single day.

Now, Bella is moving back to Forks and I'm going with her. I thought my life was hard before, but I had no idea what was waiting for me in my hometown. Complications, new and beautiful faces, secrets, soulmates, and myths coming to life...

No one ever said life was easy.

❦❦❦

Okay guys, so I'm going to slowly begin editing this story while continuing with my Klaus story. And I may even add new chapters to Death once I get there. I hope you enjoy all the changes and new things I add along the way.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN TWILIGHT OR ANY OF THE CHARACTERS EXCEPT SVETLANA, SEBASTIAN, NAN, IAN, ELIJAH, KYLE, AND THEIR STORY LINES.

Reh