twenty

"Five. Four. Three. Two. One."

"Happy New Year!" I stood on my tippy toes and kissed the person to my right.

"Happy New Year's baby!"

I looked up at the Times Square tower where the ball had just dropped. I smiled, in all of the seventeen years of my life, I had finally seen it.

Sure, we may not have been able to drink or eat for the past 12 hours, but it was all worth it. At least to me.

"Do you want to go back now?" Garrett screamed.

"What?" I screamed back.

"Bed."

"I can't hear you. Let's go get food I'm starving."

I don't think I can hear any more, famous artists are singing left and right with people cheering and fireworks going off.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him through the crowds of anxious people. We stopped at a McDonald's on the way back to the hotel. I don't think I have ever eaten anything so fast.

"Okay you got to stop moaning to that cheeseburger, I'm kind of getting jealous." I moan extra louder as I take another bite.

The door opens letting in a cold rush of air into the restaurant. I shiver and look at the couple that just walked in.

I whispered to Garrett, "What is Savannah doing with Hayes?"

"I have no clue, where's Matt?"

"He's back at the hotel, he didn't want to stand in the crowd all night."

I text Matt.

JESS:

Can you tell Sav to call me?

MATT:

You call her, she left.

JESS:

What happened?

MATT:

We got in a fight, and she left.

JESS:

Did you try to stop her?

MATT:

Yes! Do you think I'd let the girl I've been in love with for two years run away that easily?

JESS:

We are at the McDonald's by the hotel. She just walked in with Hayes.

If it makes you feel better, they aren't talking, just getting food.

He doesn't respond for a minute. He's probably slamming items around the room.

Garrett looks at me flickering his eyes at me and behind me. Crap, are they walking over toward us?

They must have seen Garrett first. They stopped in front of our table giving a questionable look. "Uh hi, I didn't know you guys were here," Savannah said quietly, scratching the back of her head nervously.

"Yeah, why are you with him?" Why is my best friend with a guy we just met?

"It's a long story."

"I got time." I mean I don't really, it's past one-thirty. I am exhausted, I just want to go to bed and snuggle with the man of my dreams.

I yawn, "You're obviously tired we can just talk about it tomorrow."

I roll my eyes, "Savannah sit down. You too Hayes."